unit 48 colorado

Under Armour Cold Gear works great as a base layer. I would just make sure you have more than one set as they will get some odor to them really quick with the work you have to put in :)

As far as GPS goes, a lot depends on how sophisticated you want to get, but Garmin has always been the leader when it comes to those and they have a bunch of different options to choose from.

I just want one that has pretty much the basics . Altitude private and public land, drop pins, tracks my route, maybe temperature among a few other things I'm sure I will need that I am unaware of right now.

One thing I have come to depend on when hunting spread out 200 to 300 yds apart vert. around a Mountain is the ID-LOCATOR. Just ping it and there my sons location is on the topo screen. Good info for safety and 'Oh' if "I fall and can't get up", he can come straight to me. He gave me a Garmin 530 HCx back in Jun-2009. He has one too.
I added the CO pvt lant chip from Len a couple of years ago.....it is a 10X.
Also, since you are changing to unit 47 remember the 4 point rule will apply to your Bull if you did not draw a cow.
Good luck.

Backpacks: There are many good brands. Personal preference I choose Eberlestock for the built in rifle scabbards. I have three. The J107 (J34) is really larger than you need for a day pack. For a true day pack, the X1 variants should work if you want the scabbard, X2's if not. This year I am trying out an X3 with a little more capacity and molle webbing on the outside if I want to attach other pockets, pouches, etc.

GPS units: Again personal preference. I use a DeLorme PN60. Not the cheapest. Not the simplest to learn. But, good reception, and good maps. Good detail on the USFS trails, even when I have to look to make out the trail. I tend to solo day hunt in Colorado. Go out one way. Come home a different way. Have always made it back to the cabin each night.

Now, if I could just get the GPS unit to show me where the elk are....

I just want one that has pretty much the basics . Altitude private and public land, drop pins, tracks my route, maybe temperature among a few other things I'm sure I will need that I am unaware of right now.

Hope your not staying in Leadville and hunting 47? You have better access down 82 pass Aspen then heading in or going into Basalt then going in along Frying Pan Rd reason for that just very small section of unit 47 that backs up to 48 is not part of the Hunter Fryingpan Wilderness. Lot of the back roads Forest Service shut them down Sept 1.

Couple times I drew early buck Sept in unit 444,45 and 44 within the Holy Cross Wilderness and 444 is one of the boundaries of 47 and one of the boundaries unit 48 is unit 45. Last time I was in there had a packer take me in and I had bull elk in camp every day and there was just me up there.

Since I'm now 71 and I'm not packing as much I use the Badland 2800. I know nothing of ATV as I like to hunt back county only thing going in there is either by foot or horseback and I prefer walking in.

Unit 47 you can buy bull elk tag over the counter and cow is draw and your going to have lot more hunters in that unit has fair amount of private land since there is Aug 15 thru Jan 15 private land cow tags. You also have private land either sex tag for unit 44,45,444 and 47 first elk season and you have same tag for public land.

Wish you luck

Ok I'm sorry bc I'm new to this you kind of lost me. We are staying in leadville. The guys I'm going with has a friend up there who semi guides on the side. He lives just outside of town and says there is a trail from where he lives in to 47 some where that's accessible by atv. What I'm kind of worried about is if there's snow on the ground we may not be able to reach it on wheelers. Now where you kind of lost me was taking about private land. As far as I know we will be only hunting public land.

Well he's not my friend and I don't know the guy. I just like to do stuff on my own gather as much info as I can and not really depend on them. So is the entire unit of 47 fryin pan wilderness?

Well he's not my friend and I don't know the guy. I just like to do stuff on my own gather as much info as I can and not really depend on them. So is the entire unit of 47 fryin pan wilderness?

Look you and your friend have a guide and you can call it whatever you want. He has first hand knowledge on the unit your going to hunt and he should be the one answering your question.

No. There are 5 of us going up there. So there's no way he can guide five people at one time so ill be alone most if not all the time. He's more less just letting us stay at his house . I will be doing most of this alone. Trust me if I had an easier way to find out info or get advice I would. I'm a learn on my own kind of person. So idk what exactly your thinking is but I hope you see where I'm coming from.

I am heading out to unit 48 with my 75yr old dad . We would always draw unit 49 & had good hunts but the points went up to 8, so we drew 48. There is limited mobility with my dad, and we are going into this blind can I get a little help?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.