Unit 46 late elk hunt in Idaho

Levi

Looking for advise from anyone that has experience with this hunt. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Awesome hunt with some BIG bulls. I usually take 2 firearms to get the job done. A big 338 with a capable load and a built 45-70 for the cover. I have flown it many times and the elk are in herds and sometimes hard to find. Take a great set of binocs and a spotting scope. Do the research and study the terrain and habitat. This year there is not much water so keep this as a consideration of there is no moisture on the ground.. Good Luck

I have been fairly lucky on this hunt. I personally have never drawn on it but my niece has had 2 tags in the past for this unit. She now is 17. Her first bull was at the age of 12 and I had the opportunity to take her and my sister out on the hunt. Her father "HAS NO USE FOR HUNTING OR FIREARMS". His daughter is to die for, She is a excellent shot and lives for hunting and shooting. I would rather be able to mentor her and be with her than to be able to hunt myself. Remember our kids will someday run this country and how they are raised and the values we instill in them will determine gun control and future laws.:)

That's awesome! Did you see lots of elk, big bulls, were the elk tough to find? Can you give me some areas to check? Did she kill a bull?

Yes we harvested bulls. Be patient and do not shoot the very first ones you see. The bigger bulls amount to less than 5% than the bull population. One was a 320 6x6. Not much to brag about these days with guided $$$$$ hunts, but for a non fenced true wild bull hunt it is better than most people will do all there lives. Do a lot of glassing! Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.