Unethical?

.....Education rather than regulation. We have to have regulations because there are those that will take things too far because they have no value in the sport of the hunt. Without the regulations there would be those that would use explosives or mortars to kill game animals. Reasonable men impose limits on themselves that keep their conscience clean and their hunts enjoyable. The best regulations are personal.......Steve

Unfortunately the education, and regulation being provided from the states is negative. Too many on "our" side help fuel this. Stick bow people hate the compounds, hate the crossbows etc. One suggested solution to suburban deer issues here was the crossbow, some how crossbows have been more or less politically incorrect all my life. Yet for some places it is a great solution.

When we lost our hounds due to public opinion, it was predicted big cats would become a nuisance, they have! In the unit I live in the quota is 7-9 cats. Here in the closed season there have been 3 I know of taken by paid employees of the state, for issues with livestock. Another by a property owner that called about one hanging out under the trampoline, and given an OK to shoot it.
The sightings, and witnessed pet kills continue. This is just in one small corner of the unit 1) We may reach quota before the season opens, 2) I have one friend that (I take her son hunting) that wants them killed season or not! It's not ethics that keeps me from making efforts to oblige.

Bears have left tracks on 2 hikers at Priest Lake. Plenty of bears but the season closes for the month of July. Nobody can recall such an incident before. A few decades ago we were hunting, and a Ranger said he wished we'd shoot the campground pest. Backpedaled when I said OK, against regulations to shoot in an empty campground you know. No lets put bureaucracy in motion, and run up a tab. I will say Idaho has moved farther towards recognizing bears as a factor in elk management, expanding seasons, and some 2 tag areas.

I stay legal, but I concur with Steve, it's no substitute for a personal sense of right and wrong.

Interesting set of points. I'd have to say the "code of ethics" ruling over the ideals of hunter gatherers were a little different than they are for us "sportsmen" who already have a freezer full of beef/pork/foul. It is a topic that we all need to keep in the back of our minds though. Thanks for bringing it up Rich.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.