Undecided on a new Cartrige

In the end its all about bullet placement with a good bullet. Im not a big bore fan. Right now Im considering having a light 7mm-08 built up with a McMillan "Edge" stock and a # 21/2 Pac Nor barrel ................

You might also want to consider the .284 Win, almost identical to the 7mm-08, except for the 35 degree shoulder - originally designed to obtain greater ballistics than previously possible with a short action cartridge while using a standard bolt face.

Add the 6.5x55 (or AI) to Submoa's list.

Another consideration is the .270 Win (or AI) and .270 WSM, esp with Matrix's 165/175 VLDs and upcoming Berger's 170 VLDs.

I too am a fan of the .300 Win Mag but we all know it's all about shot placement and knowing the the rifle's limitations and shooter's capabilities.

Good luck! Happy safe shooting/hunting.

2 cents

.280 AI, would be a good bet. I like the Cooper Rifles and saw that the Mangnum cal. cost about $1,000 more than the non-magnum ones............Why I dont know. You can buy .280 AI brass from Nosler, the only other one I like is the 7mm-08 this one just looks good and will do almost what the .280 will.

Im getting a little bit intimidated with using a .243 for Black Bear...............would feel a bit better with more gun.

Cant imagine what will happen if Obama is re-elected...............

Nevada, my home state, is a swing state and with 20% un-employment cant imagine why so many people here are going to vote for him again............its beyond me.

G

I've hunted various game with .177 pellet, .22, .22 Hornet, .243, .270, 30-30, 30-06, .300 Win Mag, .32 Special, .338 Win Mag, .375 H&H, 45-70 Gov't., .410, 20, 16 and 12 gauge since age 8 years old, mainly in Texas, Colorado and Wyoming. I've lived in and hunted Colorado continuously since 1974.
My favorite all-around big game cartridge for deer, elk, pronghorn, goats and sheep in the Rockies and on the high plains is the .300 Win Mag.
For moose or bear, I'd go with the .338 Win Mag or the .45-70 Gov't. I've got a Sako .243 set up for pronghorn and coyote.
A fellow couldn't go wrong with an '06 as his only rifle either.
The .300 Win Mag I use is a Rem XCR with a Limbsaver slip on butt-pad to give another inch of LOP. It has no porting or recoil reduction and kicks about like my old P-17.

Darrel Holland has hinted that the .280 with the 168gr Berger will outperform the 300 Win Mag....................what is your take on that.?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts