Undecided and looking for help

want2shoot

I've been reading this site quite a bit lately trying to gain knowledge in long range shooting.
So, I've been putting together a rifle for long range deer, antelope, and possibly other big game. I also would have fun shooting at long ranges (1000 yds at targets).
I've got a Remington Sendero SF ii in a 300 RUM topped with a Leupold VX-III 4.5 - 14 x 50 LR with Boone and Crocket reticle. With a Harris Bipod.
So far it looks good, but I haven't shot it!!!
I'm second guessing my scope choice after doing some reading on this site.
Do I want a good "hunting" rifle that is SOMEWHAT accurate out to 600 yds or do I throw on a nightforce NXS 5.5 - 22 x 50 and have a great first time Long range target rifle?
Is there a way to set this up so it will work good for target and hunting?
Was thinking of different turrets for my leupold or BDC turrets.
I know I have a thousand questions, but I just want to do this right the first time around.
I could really use some guidance from someone who knows more about this stuff.

Thank you in advance,
Kevin

I think you have a great scope. For big game hunting the 14X is about perfect in my opinion. Higher powers sacrifice some optical issues, and are a pain when you get that quick 80 yard shot and all you see is hair. With the group of guys I hunt with, we have made many 800-1000 yards shots with no complaints about 14X not being enough. We use the VX-III 50mms with custom drop compensating turrets. Our scopes have been beat up all over the world with no issues and we have rarely needed to rezero. Since we dial the range, the elevation turrets are going up and down all the time and the return to zero has been outstanding.

Now, for a target rifle you might want something different but I would shoot what you have until you think it's limiting you.

Thanks Sharpstick,

I was wondering the same thing last night. Does this make since?
Lets say I replaced the elevation and windage turrets with M1 stlye (or the like). If my zero was set at 300 yds, could I still use the Boone & Crocket reticle as it is designed out to 600 for strictly hunting?
Then, with out changing my zero, could I "dial" using the turrets for possibly 1000 yd target shots. If this would work, I could have the best out of both worlds.
I know I have a lot of questions, but I'm very curious and this is really interesting to me. Is it wrong so stay up all night thinking about this stuff?:)

Thanks again,
Kevin

Edit: After I posted this reply, I re-read your post. The drop compensating turrets you refer to, are this the BDC turrets that leupolds custom shop builds for your specific load? When you say "we dial the range" are you turning the BDC or do you have the M1 stlye turrets. Please do not think I'm questioning you. I'm just not that familier with the terminologly being very new to long range.

Last edited:
Not sure about your B&C reticle question. I'm not familiar with them and how they are marked. We use the a yardage marked turret dial that replaces the standard Leupold turret. This allows the stock turret cap to go back on when the gun is being transported. Ours are GreyBull Precision that have 20MOA elevation and a windage reticle so we don't dial the wind, but for an existing scope you might look at Kenton Ind. I would not rely on just a software dial for 500+ yard shooting. You should shoot at the longer ranges, figure out the actual adjustment needed, and have the dial made accordingly.

Dialing takes less than 2 seconds and works great. You still need to account for steep angles and have an extra dial set-up for major altitude changes, and always be learning how to read wind, but for us, this system works great. You need to stick with a consistent load or get new turrets made when you change.

Last edited:
Many of the animals killed beyond 800 yards are by people using Luepold scopes. What you have will do just fine.

You can even get by without target knobs if you wish and dial the elevation on the knobs you have by removing the covers. The only drawbacks to using what you have is that you have to be above the scope to see the settings and you have to be able to remember where Zero is. What I used do is draw a little picture on my drop chart of how the knob should look at zero.

+1 on what Buffalobob said.

I have a VXIII 4.5 - 14 x 40 LR and have used it on deer out to 638 yds and rocks out to 840 yds.

I dial all my shots using a drop chart that shows hold over in MOA. I have never had a problem with tracking or returning to zero.

Having to look down on the turrets from on top is a bit of a PITA especially if the animal is moving around a bit, but I have ever missed out on an animal because of it.

You should be able to use the Boone and Crocket reticle out to 600 or so (depending on zero range) and then dial from there. But you will need to dial back to zero before using the B&C reticle again. Just remember with the B&C reticle it only works at the specified magnification. Dialing works at any magnification.

Stu

Thanks to everyone for the great reply's.
It sounds like what I have will be a good enough starting setup.
It makes since to me to keep the scope I have. Use the B&C reticle to get me out to 600yds. If I have the money add target style turrets to dial out past 600. Or, leave well enough alone and just shoot it dialing with the factory knobs.
Does anyone disagree with this?

By the way, I am easily influenced if I don't know much about a subject, so please steer me in the right direction.

Here is what I "THINK" I will do:
Add target style turrets for elevation and windage (any input on which ones?)
Use the B&C reticle for hunting, out to about 400yds (animals shouldn't run too fast)
Past 400yds dial for correction

Thanks again - Kevin

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Turrets: M1 is probably the best, (no caps needed) after that target turrets covered by caps.

M2 or M3 could be used but the graduations are a bit coarse for fine adjustments at long range.

Stu

Hi Kevin,
The scope you have on the rifle will do the job for most long rang hunting environments. A tactical scope like a Nightforce will do a better job. If you put a 5.5-22x50mm you will notice a weight jump but if you are not doing a lot of hiking it will not be that big of a deal. Nightforce are great scope and you can not go wrong with one.

Mike @ CSGW

What you want to do can be done quite easily with the BC reticle. I have set a couple up exactly like that. Read the link below, I describe basically how to do it.

You need exbal and a chrono. call Leupold and get the exact distances inches between the wires and then plug in the numbers to exbal and use their reticle tool to figure the exact drops.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/drop-compensation-reticle-38666/

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.