Unconventional 338

Tyler,

Scratch the RUM idea, I don't think muzzle brakes are permitted in more competitions than not, except maybe F-Class???

My reference to the REM 700 long action was to let ya know the loaded long 265 AT class bullet could be ejected with only a very small but possibly important seating depth adjustment.

A Savage target would most probably be better.

I wonder how heavy of a gun people shoot for their match rifles. I figured 15 lbs, but if 3 lbs of that was recoil reducers it would take the recoil down a fair bit. Then these reducers could be removable when I switch to the braked 338 Edge barrel...or not even worry about removing them.

Nice thing about the WSM boltface, is that it uses the same boltface as the 338 Edge, so the barrel swap would be simpler.

AJ

It would most likely kick too hard. But good brass is available for it, maybe I could use too slow powders to give a slow velocity but low ES?

Looks neat:

338-08
338-08300grainSMK.jpg

338-08 AI
338-08300grainSMKACKLEY.jpg

338-300 WSM
338-300wsm.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.