uncle b and goodgrouper help please loading equipment

new shooter

first thanks for all your posting on loading. I am having a 338am with a abs carbon wrapped barrel being built. Its your fault, goodgrouper, I have read your report on 338 thunder and had to get the abs barrel. I AM NEW TO HAND LOADING.I need help with phone numbers to get equipment.I have read where you said to get a tool to measure the bullets baring surface from Tubbs company, a neck turner, a maplats trimmer, a Sinclair or other comparator tool for the ogives, Measure neck thickness, get bushing style dies,not expander ball dies? Is that right? Is there any thing else i will need? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I realy need some help here and phone #'s for equipment. thanks for your help.

How was the goose hunting this year around Polson? Didn't get to do any this year, but usually get in a few days/year up there.

jmden, goose hunting at polson was good. I hunt on the upper bench towards pablo; have frends who own a potatoe farm. Went out about 6 times shot alot. I am a bad shot i have the tendency to flock shoot, but it's alot of fun. I don't hunt geese until deer and elk season is over; i've only hunted geese for 4 years. The wife bought me a benelli super black hawk 2. I have 2 lay down blinds so if you happen to be over here in December or January and want to go hunting e-mail me. e-mail is [email protected]

New Shooter. I'm not Uncle B or GG, but I can give you a few thoughts to get you started. Everyone else can chime in and comment then.

1) Get a good set of Calipers. I like the Starret digital model that turns off after 4 minutes. A set of calipers is the most often used measuring tool you will use. (around $100)

2) Get a 1" Micrometer. This will allow you to very accurately measure things less than 1", like case diameters (checking for pressure signs), Outside neck diameter, bullet diameters etc. These measure down to the .0001" and are pretty handy. Get one that has a locking barrel, so you don't bump it while you are reading it.

3) Get a good scale. I personally like digital scales, however you have to be willing to 'put up' with them. I always plug mine in at least an hour before I need it so it gets up to working temperature inside. Otherwise, it slowly creeps its readings. A balance beam scale will work but has its own drawbacks. Along with the digital scale, I have the automatic trickler. People either love them or hate them. I wouldn't want to reload without one.

4) I use the Stoney point tools for measuring bullets and cartridges. If you get both of the Stoney pt kits (head space gauge and bullet comparator) you will be set for measuring things with your caliper (approx $19 each). I also have both of the Sinclair 6 sided comparators (approx $9 each).

5) A good funnel is used all the time. I have a set from midway that has interchangeable tips, to fit different caliber shells. It is very handy and pretty cheap.

6) Dies - I've tried all manner of dies and they all work. For the 338AM, Kirby should be able to get you the correct dies. For the rest, I like Full Length dies for most things and I like the micrometer seating dies that have the spring loaded sleeves (Forster and Redding Competition style).

7) You will need a large press for the 338AM. I purchased the RCBS Ammomaster 2 and I think it will work well. It is big enough to handle anything up to the 50BMG. Mine will remain setup for my 338AM. Anything smaller will be reloaded on my old RCBS Rockchucker. There are tons of choices and if I were doing it today, I'd buy the best regular size press I could find. I'm sure others will chime in with their favorites.

8) Loading manuals. Get you a couple just for reference. I have a library full of them. I have recently ordered the Quickload software (I've played with an older version). And feel that its a great addition to the library (and fun to use as well). I recently purchased 'Handloading for Competition' from Zediker, I wish I had read this book years ago. In my opinion its a 'must have'; tons of info on setting things up and measuring stuff.

9) Measuring resized cases and loaded rounds for concentricity is important if you are interested in making the highest quality reloads. I have the Sinclair Concentricity tool and it is very will made.

10) If you are going to neck turn your brass, you will need to be able to measure the neck thickness. Sinclair sells a couple of very nice gages for this (one analog and one digital). I have the analog and it works well, it has a built in micrometer. I'm sure the digital would be great, but is $50 more and the battery can go dead. They also make a Neck thickness checking gage that has a dial indicator; its fast for checking thickness differences, but not as accurate as a Micrometer for getting actual thickness. I use the Sinclair Neck turning set, its very accurate and easy to use. Everyone has their favorite.

Well there is my top 10 list in no particular order. I'm sure I missed a few things (like a nice solid bench, good lighting etc. etc.) but this can give you something to think about.

Websites I use are www.midwayusa.com and www.sinclairintl.com

Hope this helped, even though I'm not UncleB or GG.
Don

[ QUOTE ]
first thanks for all your posting on loading. I am having a 338am with a abs carbon wrapped barrel being built. Its your fault, goodgrouper, I have read your report on 338 thunder and had to get the abs barrel. I AM NEW TO HAND LOADING.I need help with phone numbers to get equipment.I have read where you said to get a tool to measure the bullets baring surface from Tubbs company, a neck turner, a maplats trimmer, a Sinclair or other comparator tool for the ogives, Measure neck thickness, get bushing style dies,not expander ball dies? Is that right? Is there any thing else i will need? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I realy need some help here and phone #'s for equipment. thanks for your help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Find somebody you trust and let them lead you through the murky waters of getting started. Listening to a larger group will only confuse you and lead to problems. Everybody does not approach reloading the same way.

James

Chawlston I believe you said the bushing style dies were better then expander ball dies? I think kirbys 338am dies are expander ball dies. I gess i shoud have kirby make bushing dies is that right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

as far as reloading goes...i think you're trying to arrive without having made the trip! a 338AM is not the gun/caliber to learn reloading with.

Dave Wilson i did not say i didn't know how to reload. I said i am new to it. i have never trimmed meplats or bearing surfaces to get long range accuracy. i nead to get rid of the expander ball dies and get bushing style dies. finally turn the necks to work with sizing die without the expander ball. I only did a small amount of loading but never with this type of equipment.I have been a bow hunter for 25 years not much hand loading. but that said i am sure i can learn to load this 338am for accuracy with the right equipment. I just need to make sure i find where to get the PHONE #'s for the equipment. KIRBY is building me a world class rifle for super long rang.I want to get full potential out of it to do this i will have to get new equipment.I will go to a gun club and talk to benchrest shooters for help. ACCORDING TO GOODGROUPER AND CHAWLSTON IF YOU WANT TO BE ACCURATE AT A MILE YOU NEED THIS EQUIPMENT.THIS IS MY FIRST CUSTOM RIFLE /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

NewShooter,i must have misunderstood. in your first post you said "i am new to reloading" and it's obvious from your questions that you have very limited experience with it. i'll say it again, a 338AM is not a cartridge to learn reloading with. not trying to flame, just the way i see it. i wish you luck with your project.

New Shooter,
I appreciate your enthusiasm, but at the rate you're going, I afraid you are going to spend a small fortune on a bunch of gadgets that in the long run will shrink your wallet a lot more than your groups. If you want smaller groups at long range you need to spend your time actually shooting. Even shooting clay pigeons at 200 yards with a rim fire will do more for you than measuring bearing lengths and brass neck thickness. A meplate trimmer? Just how much shooting past 1000 yards are you going to be doing? Kirby builds the accuracy into the rifle. Once it arrives all you will really need to do is find a place to stretch its legs.

If I were you, I would continue to shoot every chance you get and get things that will really help. A set of wind flags, weather station, range finder, pda with a program in it for the come up's and a chronograph. If you have money to burn an auto scale will be handy. These things will get you closer but still you will need actual trigger time with a spotter to see how you are doing at reading mirage and the wind. These skills will cut feet off your groups. The loading bench will only cut a few thousandths. I'm afraid you are making this way harder than it needs to be and may burn out.

Tell us about the specs on your new 338AM. My buddy just received his and it is awesome.

Shawn

Hired gun, your right it is costing a fortune just to get the rifle complete. I e-mailed kirby to get specs. I plan on shooting alot i know my barrel is good for 1000 to 1200 rounds if i keep good care of it.I hope i nead a new barrel in two years;that means i got to shoot alot. Thanks for the helpful comments. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.