umm match 308 cal bullet into 30-30 case ????

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Freedom2live, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Freedom2live

Freedom2live Banned

Has anyone tried match 30 cal bullet into a 30-30 case.. I wonder how it would shoot accurately.. Just for target practice.. I own a few marlin lever gun and I notice there barrels are freaking accurate with that mirco groove.. I am thinking of taking out some bullets out of a bunch of match 308 and trying them.. Any input ??

2. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't shoot those like that in a lever-action.....Just a single-shot or bolt-action. There's a reason why guns with feeding tubes don't use pointy bullets that sit center or the firing pin inline with the one before it.... :D

3. Freedom2live

Freedom2live Banned

Am aware but I would be single shooting

4. westcliffe01

westcliffe01 Well-Known Member

The marlin has a 1:10 twist rate so stabilizing the bullet should be no problem. How it will feed, I don't know.

If you have a "senior moment" and somehow slip in a second one, you might have a lot of difficulty typing in the future... You know what they say, play s...... games, win s..... prizes.

5. justgoto

justgoto Well-Known Member

I do that all the time. I've loaded from 110gr to 180gr in every type imaginable. I like the Hornady 150gr FMJs the best, they're inexpensive.

6. badandy970

badandy970 Well-Known Member

7. Kevin Thomas

Kevin Thomas Well-Known Member

Freedom2live,

You're missing the reverse point here; most 30-30 bullets are every bit as accurate as Match bullets, at least those that I've shot. Fired from a machine rest in a benchrest quality barrel, most of these FN projectiles will shoot every bit as well, and in some cases better, than a Match type HPBT.

While the HPBT Match bullets have a considerably higher BC, and would be advantageous at longer ranges, they have absolutely no edge in inherent accuracy at the typical lever action ranges involved here. Ballistic Coefficient and accuracy are separate, and distinctly different issues.

The safety issues already pointed out are a worthwhile consideration, too, and nothing to take too casually. Many years ago, one of Hornady's techs (Ed Heers) lost a hand when a bullet design they were working on created a tubular magazine detonation in their lab.

8. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but is the idea behind the 30TC or FTX bullets?

9. Freedom2live

Freedom2live Banned

Okay folks I tried to seating a berger match 30 cal into the rifling to seat bullet close to lands but berger are so long it won't extract if un fired.. So there goes that idea. I ll just shoot regulator 150 and match proper powder..

10. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

You could just load up some Hornady LeverEvolution bullets in your .30-30, which is what I am going to do when I start loading for mine. I have the dies & powder, just don't think I have any of the bullets at the house.

11. Freedom2live

Freedom2live Banned

I guess I ll try lever revolution but man they are very expensive

12. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

Still trying to figure out why your trying to make the 30-30 into something its not? Plus the fact that by doing this you just cut the mag capacity down to 2 rounds.