umm crimping Berger 105 hunting vld ?

Freedom2live

Hello there hope all is well. I went to the range yesterday and there was a heated argument on crimping Berger bullets. One ol timer put his target on the guys face and showed him he crimps Berger bullet mandatory. To get most evenly burn and pressure rate. By looking at his target I was amazed . 410 groups at 200yds ... My question is this normal ??he was shooting 243 savage 12 bvss

Crimping is not anything I'd do unless it was for a dangerous game rifle and the bullet has a cannulure for the crimp. I helped a friend put together an African bound 375 H and H and we crimped the hornady soft and solids.

Berger bullets do not require crimping to shoot accurately. I would suggest to you that you ignore the gentleman's methods and stick with varying neck tensions if you feel a need to do so.

Generally a neck tension of .002-.003" will work for most rifles.

Stay tuned as I am certain more members will add to this thread.

Crimping? What is that? Oh ya, now I remember some people do that. Before I really understood reloading I did also but not in years.

I have mixed feelings on crimping. On vld or high bc bullets i would say no. It damages the surface and adds drag. I would flirt with neck tension before crimping.

On straight case rounds and especially pistol cartridges i all most always crimp. I wont waste time on why.

I think there was an article on the home page of this site covering internal ballistics and the importance of crimping magnum cartridges to eliminate pre mature bullet jump due to the larger primers. Pretty interesting

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.