Ultrasonic Clean Brass And Neck Tension

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by LRHWAL, Feb 20, 2008.

1. LRHWAL

LRHWAL Well-Known Member

Has anyone who is using an ultrasonic cleaner for their brass noticed anything regarding neck tension? I heard stories that the cleaner brass created higher fiction, but haven't seemed to experience it myself.

I have found that I still need to run a brass bore brush into the necks to try to keep the surfaces even. Meaning that the ultrasonic cleaner doesn't always remove all of the fouling and I end up with part bare brass and part a bit powder fouled and I figured that could result in uneven bullet release.

The brush does smooth the surface pretty well - which I suspect maybe helps the friction too (seating effort seems "normal").

Any experiences and suggestions about ultrasonic cleaning of cases are welcomed.

WL

2. Flybuster

Flybuster Well-Known Member

I used an ultrasonic cleaner on my brass all last Summer. I liked the results that it gave, especially the clean primer pockets.

But, I have never experienced difficulty seating bullets due to having brass too clean, if there is such a condition. I know the folks on 6mmbr.com reported using some sort of dry lube on the inside of case necks to aid in bullet seating.

I personally use Citranox as a cleaning detergent, works fine. Right now I need to be looking for a new U.S machine, since my went kaput.

3. JeffVN

JeffVN Well-Known Member

I ultrasonic and have not had any problems with neck tension, but I use a dry moly lube on the inside of the necks just before loading (picked up the tip on 6mmbr.com and it seems to work well).

JeffVN