Ultrasonic Clean Brass And Neck Tension

LRHWAL

Has anyone who is using an ultrasonic cleaner for their brass noticed anything regarding neck tension? I heard stories that the cleaner brass created higher fiction, but haven't seemed to experience it myself.

I have found that I still need to run a brass bore brush into the necks to try to keep the surfaces even. Meaning that the ultrasonic cleaner doesn't always remove all of the fouling and I end up with part bare brass and part a bit powder fouled and I figured that could result in uneven bullet release.

The brush does smooth the surface pretty well - which I suspect maybe helps the friction too (seating effort seems "normal").

Any experiences and suggestions about ultrasonic cleaning of cases are welcomed.

WL

I used an ultrasonic cleaner on my brass all last Summer. I liked the results that it gave, especially the clean primer pockets.

But, I have never experienced difficulty seating bullets due to having brass too clean, if there is such a condition. I know the folks on 6mmbr.com reported using some sort of dry lube on the inside of case necks to aid in bullet seating.

I personally use Citranox as a cleaning detergent, works fine. Right now I need to be looking for a new U.S machine, since my went kaput.

I ultrasonic and have not had any problems with neck tension, but I use a dry moly lube on the inside of the necks just before loading (picked up the tip on 6mmbr.com and it seems to work well).

JeffVN

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts