Ultra Long Range Caliber?

Your rockchucker presss will reload the 408 based cases, with the right adapter. I would skip the BR and go for a NXS.

This is what you're talking about building. Joel's toy!!

338-408Chey-Tec005.jpg

338-408Chey-Tec006.jpg

338-408Chey-Tec007.jpg

338-408Chey-Tec003.jpg

I can only shoot to 750 yds here at the house. Not a great challenge, but it was fun. Here is Joel, getting redy to really mess up my 750 gong.

338-408Chey-Tec009.jpg

Phil

That's one of my first .338-.408 builds. It's a .338 Big Baer which is the improved version of the .338-408.

Lawton 8000, Krieger barrel, Jewell, Vias, metal work by Baer, stock work by me.

Although I don't use the Lawton actions anymore, this rifle has been a real shooter.

Here's a picture of a 3.806" group I shot at 1,680 yards at an IBS sanctioned shoot in OHIO with that rifle.

IMG_11262.jpg

Fifth shot just off the right edge of the paper. Marked and measured by the target puller and rangemaster Tom Sarver. Would have brought the group to approx 7.5".

I did not win the match because all five have to be on paper, but nonetheless, it just shows what the combination is capable of.

Fifth shot just off the right edge of the paper. Marked and measured by the target puller and rangemaster Tom Sarver. Would have brought the group to approx 7.5".

I did not win the match because all five have to be on paper, but nonetheless, it just shows what the combination is capable of.

I'll say, good shoot'in brother.

Tank

Joel,

What type bullets and twist barrel do you shoot? Do you shoot a long barrel (like 34")?

Great shooting. That is what I am talking about! That is good stuff. Can't wait to build this big boomer.

DoubleG

Joel,

What type bullets and twist barrel do you shoot? Do you shoot a long barrel (like 34")?

Great shooting. That is what I am talking about! That is good stuff. Can't wait to build this big boomer.

DoubleG

That particular rifle has a 33" 10 twist barrel. That group was shot with the 300 gr SMK.

I am currently testing new bullets that require a sharper twist. So far they have performed exceptionally well with a much higher BC than the corrected BC I use with the SMK.

This cartridge will perform astoundingly well at a certain velocity. There is no need to push them any faster than that.

Joel, great shooting. I was down with Tom a couple of months ago with my 375 -408s and he told me about your success and so I looked up your original post. He s lengthened the range now to 1740 yds but I only grouped about 9" for 4.

Looks like you use a screwed on aluminium base plate for bench rest shooting - has that helped much. Also who makes the rest and how much does it cost. I have a Farley for 6mm BR but have not used it for large calibers - how much does it add to your accuracy?

Thanks

LR3

LR3~

9" at his place is quite a feat. Good shooting...

Tom has a great place to shoot, we were there in the late spring. We shot a bit at 1,740 but ran out of daylight to hang a few targets.
We shot some at 1,950. He had a 12" steel plate that we shot from the hilltop position to the left of the pavilion.

I use a 3" aluminum plate on the forend of that rifle because of the stock design. It rides the front bag of my rest much better that way.

I've been wanting to make a stock for it, but can't seem to find the time to make one for myself. I'm in the process of designing a new one for these rifles.

My rest you see in the pictures posted by Philny1, was made by Baer. He quit making them a few years ago because of the cost. I think I paid around $1,500. They are by far the best built rest I have used.

Send me a pm with your contact info, maybe we can meet at Sarver's in the spring.

Joel, Thanks for the info. I did have an aluminium plate made by Manners for my 30-378 WBY but have not used yet for BR. Tom did suggest I try the 1950 range to the left but I also ran out of time - it was during deer bow season so I only had the middle of the day. I m planning to go down in the Spring also so I ll PM you my contact info. If you know of anybody selling the rest, please pass on my info.

LR3

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.