ultra light rifle stocks

I wanted to get some opinions on who made the best value in ultra-light rifle stocks. I know none of the good ones will be cheap, just wanted to stay in the $4-600 range. I am thinking of building a mountain rifle in 300WSM and before buying an action I wanted to make sure the stock I pick is available for it.

I'm looking to build a gun that will finish out at 8lbs or less with a 13oz scope.

Also if you want, give me some advice on what make and contour barrel to go with. I will finish it at 23" of barrel and a Vias brake on top of that. I want to use 180gr bullets, preferably accubonds if it likes them.

I am not a huge fan of Remington 700 actions for mountain hunting because of their safety. It seems to always rub off on my pack and unlock my bolt. I would prefer to use a Savage or Browning action with the tang safety.

Thanks!

To my knowledge the carbon fiber stocks are the lightest because of there strength, but expensive.

For the barrel I wouldn't go lighter than a #3 or #4 because of bore dia.

And for your safety issue, PT&g makes a bolt safety for the Remington and it can be used in
conjuction with the trigger safety (Two safety's).

PT&G also makes fluted bolts that are very functional and will save a little more weight.

J E CUSTOM

My barrel came today, so after bedding I will be finished with a lightweight rifle similar to what you are working on.

My specs:

Savage Long Action, T&T by SSS
SSS trigger
Benchmark #3 contour barrel 22" 7mm Rem Mag
McMillan Hunter's Edge stock, Pillar Bedded
Nikon Monarch 3-12x42SF
DNZ 1 piece mount

All told it came in at 7lbs 13oz according to my trigger pull scale.

The barrel might be a touch short for the 7Mag but I wanted the weight savings more than another 150fps.

My barrel came today, so after bedding I will be finished with a lightweight rifle similar to what you are working on.

My specs:

Savage Long Action, T&T by SSS
SSS trigger
Benchmark #3 contour barrel 22" 7mm Rem Mag
McMillan Hunter's Edge stock, Pillar Bedded
Nikon Monarch 3-12x42SF
DNZ 1 piece mount

All told it came in at 7lbs 13oz according to my trigger pull scale.

The barrel might be a touch short for the 7Mag but I wanted the weight savings more than another 150fps.

Sounds like a slick set-up. I'd be very curious to see what you get for velocity with the 22" barrel in the 7 mag. What bullet do you plan to use?

Sounds like a slick set-up. I'd be very curious to see what you get for velocity with the 22" barrel in the 7 mag. What bullet do you plan to use?

I did the bedding last night and popped the action out about 5AM this morning. All looks good so I will clean things up and hopefully have some ballpark numbers from barrel break in this weekend.

The barrel is a 3 groove, mostly because the Benchmark 3 grooves have been shooting pretty good recently from what I understand. They also may offer a little bit of velocity gain...we will see on that. I can tell you that the thing has a finish second to none on the bore.

My hope is that I can run a 140gr Accubond at about 3000fps. Sort of a short to medium range rifle that is very easy to tote around. Deer out to 4-500 and if I get the opportunity to go on an Elk hunt maybe Elk to 3-400.

I loaded up a few rounds with H1000 at about 3gr below book max for barrel break in and shot some through the crono. Velocity ran a very consistent 2900fps so it looks like I should be able to get the 3000 I was looking for.

I like the tang safety for the same reason. I shoot left handed using RH rifles, and I've flipped my Rem safety off a couple of times. Once my Bota bag caught the trigger and the gun went off near my ear. After that I bought a LH Rem 700, and a Safari sling (from Cabela's). Everyone I've ever shown the Safari sling to wants one. You can buy them or make them, they're very simple. They spread the weight across both shoulders, keep the gun low, avoiding glare off the rifle spooking game, and allow for very quick engagement (almost as fast as not using a sling and carrying in the ready position). The safety is away from your body and never rubs. Don't mean to sound like your wife, but maybe you just need a new sling. Just a thought.

I bought a Browning Mountain Ti in WSM. It shoots MOA or better with the first load I worked up (if I let the barrel cool a little between shots), weighs 5.5 lbs. and has the tang safety. I'm a one rifle man again.

26" barrel w/muscle brake, 338 NM, Defiance,Lone wolf Summit w/ limbsaver pad 7.2 0z. Looked at a rifle at Lonewolf 338, 4-130z.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.