Ultimate Muzzleloader......

Good advice, I'm not one to experiment with explosives so I don't see myself playing around. For me, if it hasn't been tested and approved, it's not for me. Just asking that's all. On the whitehot specifically, have you actually seen a degradation of measurable accuracy through say a 5 shot routine, 3? I guess I'm mostly thinking about accuracy in the field. Not that muzzleloading is a repeater type of hunt, but I am thinking like going through the day of a hunt where 4-5 shots might happen.

After the 3rd shot fowling will start to build up and you'll notice the bullet getting harder and harder to seat. I've done several cull hunts where I've shot 5-10 deer a day and have had fast paced shooting. After 3 shots I would run a patch before the next load, I keep a small container of patches accessible in my pack.

On a normal days hunt 4-5 shots would be a lot of shooting. Make time to swab to insure best accuracy for quick clean kills, our quarry deserves that. If it means a blown oppurtunity, oh well. This is muzzleloader hunting and it's not always convenient.

ALWAYS great to hear from an experienced shooter with the Ultimate. I know Ken promotes T7 magnum pellets, but I believe any of the pellets would work just fine. After shooting loose and weighing charges for so long, this will be a change. I'm not planning on hunting 500yds, but prefer its accuracy at 300yds. Even some of our large bean fields won't provide hunting shots much further. The most enjoyment for me, will be competing against my own abilities and building my confidence in a new rifle. Its my intent to make it an extension of my body, as I do any other firearm. Confidence is everything IMO..

I realize there's a whole new learning curve coming, with more knowledge of the wind's affect at long range. Ken promotes and rightfully so, the higher BC of the Fury (Parker) bullets but, it will be interesting how well it may shoot a Barnes TMZ, which is my preferred hunting bullet.

I didn't know Starline made 458 Win Mag Brass? That's what to buy huh? I better start looking for supplies myself right? I'm really looking forward to muzzlehunting, the 1 shot kill concept is most attractive to me anyone. Accuracy, accuracy and shot placement or don't shoot at all. Patience is a virtue...

I didn't know Starline made .458 Win Mag Brass? That's what to buy huh? I better start looking for supplies myself right? I'm really looking forward to muzzlehunting, the 1 shot kill concept is most attractive to me anyone. Accuracy, accuracy and shot placement or don't shoot at all. Patience is a virtue...

Its NOT 458 Win Mag.

It IS .45 Winchester Magnum.......... pistol cases. They are primed with a large rifle MAGNUM primer.

Midway is thinking they may have a shipment coming in April. I'm on "notice" if they get them and may pick up another 500 brass. A guy just can't have enough shoot'n supplies........ gun)

FYI,
If you guys are ever in a pinch abroad on a hunt and somehow your primers get lost you can use 45acp brass. Short suckers are a bitch to load cause they have the tendency to flip backwards on you but they will work just fine, same bolt face. 45 win mag is basically a 45acp Long.

Glad I got that right. I had thought because he was using a large rifle primer it was a 45 win mag case. Now I see, no belt, similar to the 45 acp.

Cool.

Thx

FYI,
If you guys are ever in a pinch abroad on a hunt and somehow your primers get lost you can use 45acp brass. Short suckers are a bitch to load cause they have the tendency to flip backwards on you but they will work just fine, same bolt face. 45 win mag is basically a 45acp Long.

What primer are you using to prime your brass? I need to find 1k.

Whatever magnum primer you find in stock ie; Winchester, Federal, CCI, or Remington. Just don't use Tula, pretty week stuff.

The build is complete!!! gun)

I could have made the trip tomorrow (Fri.) but there's been way to much going on. Had to make a 200 mile trip today for the funeral of a BIL. Things went well and the round trip went safe.....

Anyway the Ultimate is done. I told Ken last night that I'd most likely have to wait until next week some time to get down. "No hurry" Ken said. The new adventure is about to start :)

The build is complete!!! gun)

I could have made the trip tomorrow (Fri.) but there's been way to much going on. Had to make a 200 mile trip today for the funeral of a BIL. Things went well and the round trip went safe.....

Anyway the Ultimate is done. I told Ken last night that I'd most likely have to wait until next week some time to get down. "No hurry" Ken said. The new adventure is about to start :)

Awesome can't wait to see results!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.