Ultimate 338 cal Gun

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Well as some of you may know I have been contemplating a new gun. So far all of the guns Kirby has built or are building for me have been 15lb to a lot heavier guns. Before I get to old I am wanting to hunt brown bear and other animals in Canada and Alaska and I aint carrying a 15lb gun to do it.

I have recently come across a Sako TRG 30-378 new and it is a offer I cant refuse. I am planning on buying this rifle, in a few months, and converting it into some kind of super 338 magnum.

My question to all of you great minds is what is the best big 338. Is it the 338/300RUM--338 Lapua or Lapua IMP--338 Kahn, or something I havent heard about. I am planning on shooting Richard Graves 300gr ULD. I am looking for absolute power, the gun will not be shot all that often so barrel life is not a huge concern. Kirby will build the rifle, unless he denies me, me and BJ have been bugging him a lot lately /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I am wanting the gun to weigh around 9lbs with a 28" bbl.

Lets see what yall think

thanks
steve

Lerch, let's see, 9 lb so i'm assuming you're not shooting long range, looking for absolute power. might not be what you want to hear, but you've got the wrong caliber.i vote for a 375 or bigger pill.

i'm building a long range carry gun and planning on a 33 lapua. it'll be more in the 13# range.

Lerch, 9lbs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif with or w/o scope. even with a brake that may hurt.

I am looking for long range, 600yds or more. Kirby's own 270AM is a sporter gun and look at the accuracy he is getting out of it. I wanna stick in the 338 diameter catagory, i think anything spitting the 300gr WildCat out at 2800 fps or more will have plenty thump for grizzly. This wont be a Africa gun.

I have faith in the Holland QD brakes. My 270AM kicks like a heavy bbl 22-250. If the gun goes over 9lbs I can deal with it, but this is the gun I will take on elk hunts and very long hikes.

steve

9 pounds and maximum effort 338 would be the 338 Kahn or with that short of barrel a 338-378 would be optimum. I myself would pass on the TRG and bust for an new Accumark. All factory built they are 9.5 pounds on the button, naked.

Lerch,
Not trying to take anything away from Kirby here, I would love to have one of Kirby's rifles one day myself. The smith that you use is up to you, so please don't take this the wrong way. This just sounds like what you are looking for, you may have seen it already but I just wanted to pass it on to maybe give you some ideas on you build. I like your idea and to your point that you want be shooting this alot and recoil never seems to be an issue when your taking a shot at a game animal. Take a look at this for ideas:

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&amp;Number=98416&amp;an=0&amp;page=2#98416

Good luck on what ever you decide and keep us posted on the outcome.

Oneshot

this is similar to what i just went through and i can't decide against the lapua.some get 3000 with a 30" tube but most are between 28-2900.don't know if a titanium reciever is strong enough but would be a good start.barrel contour/length and stock will determine your weight.i'd say stay at least 12 lbs with the gun and loose 5 pounds of weight and you'll be able to walk farther!

Lerch,

A while back I asked about the big dog of the 33' s . Many responded with good thoughts on the choices . In the end I decided on a 338 Lapua mag IMP .

Quality of brass was a big factor in my decision . The marginal differences in performance took a backseat. I want to use the 300 smks ( that is untill Richard gets some 325 's going )

Dave made a good point about the 375, if you are looking at dangerous game ranges .

Happy choosing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Jim b&gt;

I have not worked up but a few loads many but Speedy built mine and it started as an Accumark 30-378 and is now a 338 Lapua AI. With the brake he builds and I have fire formed 100 rounds(98 gr of WMR with 250gr mk's because I have a lot of them left over from my AIWM 338 rifles) recoils like a stout 30-06! My competition rifle for this year is a switch barrel and 1 of them is going to be a 338 Lapua AI as soon as the Broughton blank gets here but it shipped today. Another thing to consider is a fire forming barrel--the blank shipped today for that as well--thanks to the guys at Shilen who helped me with that. No reason to use precious barrel life to fire form which is a necessary evil in the wildcat game for the most part.

A lot of trouble to go to when the 338 RUM is out there but hey that is what makes this game fun!!!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim &amp; Hoss, can i ask what advantage an AI is over the regular lapua. are you getting more than 50-100 fps? will that make any difference in anything.now that seems like a lot of extra bother for very little.of course that's what makes this fun!

I agree that any 338 round capable of driving a 300 gr bullet to 2800 fps or more is more then enough for any critter on the planet really, depending on bullet design of course. In fact you can get by with much less.

Easiest option would be a Lapua or 338-378. The Lapua Improved or Kahn will both offer about the same advantage over their parent cases, around 100 fps in a portable length barrel.

If you are not favorable to the Wby double radius, the Kahn is a great round.

The Sako is a fine rifle, with a recoil lug upgrade and restocking it would make an impressive long range hammer in any of the 0.590" bolt face rounds.

May I also add that you really need to get some of the Wildcat 325 gr 338 bullets. These are flat base bullets that are ment for big game. A more potent big game bullet would hard to find. Richard is mystified why this big bullet is not a better seller, me to!!

If your shooting something in the Edge class or larger, you should really look at this bullet. Let me know if your interested.

Basically, a 9 lb Kahn is alot of rifle but properly designed, not more then you can practically handle and its authoritative hits on game would be impressive.

Also, do not think you need 30" of barrel. No need in this bore size, you will not gain alot of fps per inch of barrel past 26 or 27" of barrel length. I would go with 27" with brake and keep the barrel stiff and rigid. Oops, should not have said that, will start another arguement /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

To answer your question--I do not know yet but I expect to get a 300 gr MK going right at 3000 or a little more using the 5C Broughton. This is going to help me with the wind and my problem judging it. I am going to use the 250 gr bullet with the hunting 338 Lapua AI just have not had time to really fool with it yet. The AI version (Dave Kiff did the reamer) and it is giving almost 7% more capacity over the parent case.

Is this worth it---you be the judge but I like to be different and Speedy and I are discussing building a version of his ultimate seating die for this but to tool up for it will be BRUTAL cost wise and to top it off no one builds an Arbor Press tall enough to use this die if we build it so an extension will have to be built for my press—oh well it's only money and time!! Anyone want to send me some of both?????
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dave I am 6' 6" tall and I weigh 175lbs, if I lose any weight a fart my carry me away!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

steve

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.