Tyler's 1st deer

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by uncleB, Oct 29, 2006.

1. uncleB

uncleB Well-Known Member

Tyler\'s 1st deer

.I had a friend of mine (Gary)call me up a few weeks ago,we had hunted together many times but he moved his family to Las Vegas 15 years ago and we have not hunted together since.
    His son Tyler had drawn a Utah deer tag and he did not know where to hunt. he wanted to know if I could help them out.I was all about it since I went 0 for 18 in 7 western states on my own hunts this year.
    We decided to hunt a monntain range I have always wanted to hunt but never have,we took a day or so to scout by 4-wheeler and foot and found an absolute deer mecca, it was a huge bowl covering several square miles.at dusk we saw many bucks and witnessed many hunters shooting box after box of shells without even 1 deer being taken.
    I talked with Tyler that night "do you want to wail away at a deer tomorrow morning like the hunters we saw tonight or do you want to take your FIRST DEER", he chose the latter "good you are shooting my gun tomorrow".
    The next morning we were in position and saw at least a dozen hunters pass on 3 different herds of deer saying they were all does, we were the only hunter's with a spotting scope (all 3 herds had bucks) I watched 2 hunters kick a herd out of the bowl, I told Tyler there are 3 bucks in that herd lets put a stalk on them, a half hour later we found them and snuck as close as we could 485 yds. I clicked in my scope and told Tyler take your time and make a good shot 1 shot 1 deer 2 happy friends [​IMG]

2. Spino

Spino Well-Known Member

Re: Tyler\'s 1st deer

uncleB,

got this when I tried the link - Sorry, the page you requested was not found

3. uncleB

uncleB Well-Known Member

by the way my rifle was a SakoAV in 270WSM Norma-7mm shooting 160gr accubonds with a McMillan stock smithed by Fiftydriver. thanks Kirby
    UB

4. Spino

Spino Well-Known Member

uncleB,

Good job on being the go to guy! Sounds like Tyler new what he wanted & you got him there. Tell Tyler one of the guys said nice shooting! Nice pic by the way. Memories last forever, take a kid hunting..... Thanks uncleB for doing that.

5. goodgrouper

goodgrouper Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    we saw many bucks and witnessed many hunters shooting box after box of shells without even 1 deer being taken.

[/ QUOTE ]

And who knows how many deer were wounded and I'll bet those are the guys reading this forum from a "safer" place and sneer at our long range hunting!

[ QUOTE ]
    we were the only hunter's with a spotting scope (all 3 herds had bucks)

[/ QUOTE ]

That is why you saw them and they didn't. The right gear makes all the difference.

COngrats uncle b and Tyler! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. 7mmRHB

7mmRHB Well-Known Member

Nice job Unc B.and Tyler!!

you are a very unselfish person. I'm sure Tyler thinks the world of you.

Sounds like the B S magnum did it's job as expected with a Kirby smithed gun.----RHB

7. NZ Longranger

NZ Longranger Writers Guild

Amen to all the above!
    Great stuff!

8. Mountainsheep

Mountainsheep Well-Known Member

Good job UncleB and Tyler!!
    Congratulations on your success. I'm sure Tyler will be forever grateful to you for your help & guidance. I remember my first buck & the help I got from my own uncle, we spoke fondly about that trip until we lost him earlier this year, but the memory will always be with me.
    Dave

9. ss7mm

ss7mm Writers Guild

uncleB:

Congratulations to you and especially to Tyler on a successful hunt. Sounds like he had a great teacher, listened to some great advice and did what he needed to do. The right equipment pays off big time and you've proven that.

Tyler's probably hooked on the longer stuff now so you'll probably be supplying him with some more good info in the near future. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Fiftydriver

Fiftydriver <strong>Official LRH Sponsor</strong>

UncleB,

I know how rewarding this is for you, your friend and his son. Very remotely I feel the same reward when I read posts like this. I am always happy to see customers harvest big game with one of my rifles but as I am sure you agree, having a hunter take his first buck, and at nearly 500 yards no less really adds to the trophy!!

THanks for sharing, glad the little hammer worked well for all of you involved!!

Kirby Allen(50)

11. 41mag

41mag Well-Known Member

Awesome job uncleB, great of you to take the time to get the young man on his first buck. Time spent in the outdoors teaching, is generally well rewarded, and you definatly got him off to a great start.

Thanks for sharing.

12. uncleB

uncleB Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Good job UncleB and Tyler!!
    Congratulations on your success. I'm sure Tyler will be forever grateful to you for your help &amp; guidance. I remember my first buck &amp; the help I got from my own uncle, we spoke fondly about that trip until we lost him earlier this year, but the memory will always be with me.
    Dave

[/ QUOTE ]
    Mountainsheep,
    that is why this hunt was so much fun for me, I remember being with my father when I shot my first deer. I lost my dad 6 months ago and "my first deer with Dad" was the basis of my funeral speech, you just dont forget that stuff.
    thanks UB