Two thumbs up

bigbrother

I wanted to put a good word in for my newest friends on the north island of New Zealand. I just returned from Kanuka Wilderness Hunting (Pahiatua area) where the game, terrain, and hunting were absolutely phenomenal. Neil and his guides were top notch in anyway that you would rate an outfitter or guide.

In 3 full days of hunting I took a Silver Medal (8x8) Red Stag, a Gold Medal Fallow, (3) cull sheep, and meat deer. My buddy took a 9x7 Silver Medal stag, as well as a spike Fallow for meat, a cull sheep and a Feral Cattle. The terrain lends itself to all types of hunting. It's great for stalking or still hunting, or you can camp out on a ridge and shoot to other various openings just about as far away as you want to. All of this for less than a lot of fully guided elk hunts here in the US that are 60% successful at best.

Another great thing about New Zealand was the gun importation. $25 NZ cash and an online form, pick up your guns at the police station at the airport, have the officer check it out and sign your form and you're off.

If anyone has any interest, I would highly recommend Kanuka Wilderness for a trip you won't forget.

Attachments

• FALLOW1A.jpg
    FALLOW1A.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 113
  • scottstag1.jpg
    scottstag1.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 103
Nice animals and sounds to have been a great experience. I have heard that there is not a tag fee over there, rather just outfitter fees. Is this a true statement?

Yes, most of the hunting is priced like it is in Africa or Europe. A daily rate, then a trophy fee for whatever it is you take (the bigger the animal, the higher the fee) In our case we spent $400/day for 4 days and had we not found a stag we liked we wouldn't have had to pay the trophy fee. We didn't have to pay for the cull or meat animals of course.

In New Zealand there are no hunting regulations. If you have access to the property, and have a permit for your gun, you can shoot as many as you want, however you want to do it. For that reason, hunting for the quality animals is done on managed private property.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts