Two questions

Hirschi1

1st- I am going to try to reform 300 wsm, 7mm wsm, or 270 wsm brass to 243 wssm, and 25 wssm. I know it's not going to be easy. So What would be the process and what supplies would I need? ( I have experimented on reforming a 30-06 case to a 234 win. I had too trim the neck wall thickness.)

2nd- Anyone have a load for the 6.5-284 using the Nosler 142 accubond long range with H4831.

Thank you,
Steve

Last edited:
1st- I am going to try to reform 300 wsm, 7mm wsm, or 270 wsm brass to 243 wssm, and 25 wssm. I know it's not going to be easy. So What would be the process and what supplies would I need? ( I have experimented on reforming a 30-06 case to a 234 win. I had too trim the neck wall thickness.)

2nd- Anyone have a load for the 6.5-284 using the Nosler 142 accubond long range with H483

Thank you,
Steve

I would definitely anneal all the cases down at least to the shoulder of the wssm and size them in steps, also I would trim to .020 to .030 over the finish length.

Use plenty of sizing lube also.

J E CUSTOM

Two very different case lengths, That's a lot of excess material to downsize.

Very true digger! I don't mind taking the time to do it, I just need to information that will help the process. Also $3 a brass for the 243 wssm has encouraged me to try this project.

You're probably aware that WSSM necks are ~20thou+ thick, and this is because the brass was formed from WSM cases(like you want to do).
You need a forming die set with various stages of bushings.
The cases should first be deep, lead dip, process annealed. Flame is too hot to get so near webs without ruining your batch.

I could do it, but costs would go over $3/case -for my efforts alone.
You should not ever wear out WSSM brass, so it makes more sense to pay whatever they're asking for it, while you can still get it.

You're probably aware that WSSM necks are ~20thou+ thick, and this is because the brass was formed from WSM cases(like you want to do).
You need a forming die set with various stages of bushings.
The cases should first be deep, lead dip, process annealed. Flame is too hot to get so near webs without ruining your batch.

I could do it, but costs would go over $3/case -for my efforts alone.
You should not ever wear out WSSM brass, so it makes more sense to pay whatever they're asking for it, while you can still get it.
Hi Mike,

Help. What is "lead dip" annealing?

For forming my orginal xx-Nosler cases before it was announced, I used PBike257's set. Worked great. All the rounds formed chambered. However PBike257 seems to be gone.

I hate it when someone is orphaned. No brass available and no good prospects.

I have WSM brass to spare.

I have the forming dies.

I have many ways to anneal.

I have the desire to help.

Together we can work it out...

Send me a PM.

Is he trying to produce alternate 243 & 25 wssm cases -for profit?
No. We talked on the phone. Just orphaned. $2 + is not horrible but not good.

I am trying to figure out how to make it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.