Two New 17 HMR's-What a Blast!

Moman

Hey, I know this is more of a Long Range Hunting web site, but I wanted to post about these 17 HMR's we just picked up. My son and I ordered two Marlin 917-VSSC's and picked them up today. I gotta say, these things are a blast. We started with three different types of ammo and began several three shot groups. They shot .44, .56, .67, .75 etc. all at 100 yds. One of the manufacturers ammo was all well over one inch, but the other two were all sub MOA. These groups should improve on our next shoot. If anyone is thinking about buying one of these for practice or plinking, I highly recommend it!

I agree, My father and I both own 17's. He has a Marlin laminated stainless 17 HMR, I bought him for fathers day

Really needed a trigger job, we stoned it down to 3LBS. I think Timney or Rifle Basix makes an aftermarket, but for the price of the rifle they are shooters.

I am amazed how such a little bullet makes so much damage on squirrels.

So far the best shooting ammo is Hornady V-max, Remington, and I don't think the Hornady 20 grains shoot as great, but good enough.

We had good luck with the Hornady and CCI V-Max. The Federals shot terrible in these. The triggers are a little heavy and some creep, I may end up putting Rifle Basix in them in the future. Good luck with the squirrels.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.