Two Gobblers in two days!

jvstoro

This year was my first crack at Turkey hunting and from what I've read I did good. Turkey hunting up here in Ontario Canada started on April 25. About two weeks before I set up my turkey blind on a farmers private property. The farmer indicated to me where he has seen turkeys in the past appear on his property so I picked a spot and set up my blind.
On opening day, my son and I were set up in the blind by 4am and it started to be daylight around 5:45 am. On my first call, a hen yelp I was immediately gobbled back by several gobblers who were roosted approx 100 yards away. At this point i knew I was hooked on Turkey hunting. I kept calling and and the gobblers kept responding in front of me across the field, in the woods behind me , basicly gobble sounds were all around. I had set up two hen decoys and a Jake decoy forming a triangle about 25 yards from my blind, and every decoy was about 5 yards apart. I then saw for the first time two hens come towards my decoys and a huge gobbler following them in behind. It wasn't long after that that two more gobblers followed the 1st gobbler, and all three were in full strout. Unfortunately the gobblers were hung up about 60 yards away, but the hens were amongst my decoys. two gobblers were chased away by the dominant gobbler, but he would not come close. They Gobbler would strout and the hens then started drifting away and the gobbler foloowed. Then from the oposite side were the gobblers were another Gobbler appear and the dominant gobbler came back to chase him away, again staying about 60 yards away. I hunt with a Browing A5 2 3/4 inch Turkey load #5, so I did not take the shot.

The following day I decided to place a hen on the ground with a Jake decoy right behind her. This time I had a Cooey Winchester single shot 2 3/4 inch as my son was going to take the shot if they came within range. Again at day break I started yelping and the Gobblers came out. This time 4 gobblers and 5 hens! It was an amazing sight. As they came over the hill, the gobblers were heading towards my singkle hen. As they came to the top of the hill, and saw my Jake, one of the gobblers folded up his wings, and charged my decoy. he was attacking the decoy by kicking it! Amazing! My son took the shot and he got his fiurst Tom! he was so proud! I enjoyed it so much, I went back about a week later and almost the exact sequence occured and I got my first Turkey using my Browing A5! Decoys work! It was a memorable experience for my son and I and we will be back turkey hunting next year! Here are a few pics. The gobbler my son got had 1/2 inch spurs with a 6 inch beard and weighed 18 lbs, the one I got had a 1 1/4 spur with a 10 inch beard and weighed 23.7 lbs! See the pics below.

Attachments

• Turkey 2013-05-10 288.PNG
    Turkey 2013-05-10 288.PNG
    348.6 KB · Views: 133
  • Turkey 2013-05-10 296.PNG
    Turkey 2013-05-10 296.PNG
    220 KB · Views: 144
  • Turkey 2013-05-10 343.jpg
    Turkey 2013-05-10 343.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 141
  • Turkey 2013-05-10 350.jpg
    Turkey 2013-05-10 350.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 137
Congrats!! Sounds like you guys are hooked from now on. It is lots and lots of fun. I've hunting them for a long time and it's still just as exciting as always.

Congrats on getting hooked. Love the father son team. The family that kills turkeys together stays together. Good luck each year.

Congrats to both of you. Get a B mobile jake decoy and put real jake feathers in it. Add to that a couple of Avian X feeder decoys and you have a hard to beat set up

I know the feeling Doc, it is now by far my favorite hunt as well!
Nothing beats trying to outsmart these birds, as they come with their majestic strout into range! Cheers!

Awesome stuff! I still remember 1995 when I turned 12 and my dad and I both called in 10" toms for each other. He passed away in 2003, but it's still one of my favorite memories of him.

For the small bird you get it doesn't nearly make up for the tag, gear, and time but when you call in a tom for the first time you're hooked for life!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.