Twist??

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Big_Tex22, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Big_Tex22

Big_Tex22 Active Member

I'm working on getting parts together for my first custom rig and need some help. I'm going with 300 RUM and trying the 200 accubond and matchking, and possibly the 220 MK. What twist should I go with for this weight range? I know a faster twist is needed for the heavier bullets to stabalize them, and that too fast at twist at higher velocities will cause lighter bullets to spin apart? Is this a concern in bigger bore calibers?

What about groove selection?

Again, I'm just getting into this long range stuff and custom builds, so I'm spongin up any knowledge you can give me. Its takin' me some time getting things together and putting dollars together (I'm a school teacher) but I want to build my first one right. I've got several things together, mainly just reloading stuff for the RUM that I didn't have already, jewell trigger, badger base and rings, rem action, so I'm getting closer! Looking at a barrel blank next to send to the gunsmith when I get it all together.
    Thanks again for your help!

2. bailey1474

bailey1474 <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

A 1-10" twist will serve you just fine. The groove choice is up to you. As long as you go w/a top bbl maker, you won't be dissapointed.

3. 300win

300win Well-Known Member

It is hard to beat a 1-10 twist in 30 cal.

4. Mikecr

Mikecr Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    stabalize

[/ QUOTE ] [-1sp]
    It's 'stabilize'

5. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

Yes'm, I'll try to do better.

6. Michael Eichele

Michael Eichele Well-Known Member

A 10x will work with the 200 AB and 220 SMK well. If you want a slightly slower twist for better use with a variety of 180's, the 11x will work well also for the 220 SMK and 200 AB. You will NOT stabilize the 240 SMK with the 11x though.