twist rate?

Can you look through a barrel and tell what the twist is? I have a few rifles and dont know what the twist is. Need some help please.. Bill Maylor.
Hey Bill, I ask the same question here about 6 months ago and these guys helped me out so now i get to pass it forward...I don't think you can tell just by looking but you can use a cleaning rod and tightly fitting patch. I bought a good one piece carbon rod because the bearings are so much better than the cheap rods..but if you were careful im sure you can use one of the cheap ones. Well really all you do is get the patch started down the barrel and make a small mark on your cleaning rod, continue to push the patch down the barrel until the rod makes a full turn. Then measure the distance it took to make one full turn...if it was 9 inches then it is a 1 to 9 twist if it took 10 inches then it is a 1 to 10 and so on.....hope this helps

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.