Twist Rate For Range Of Bullets

Nitroman

I am going to re-barrel my .223 WSSM. I am looking at two Kreiger barrels, one having a 1-8 twist, the other 1-10.

Most of my shooting will be done in cooler temps and hence more dense air. I would prefer the 1-10, but would like to try some heavier than 60 grain bullets, particularly the Barnes series of monometal bullets. Because of the temps, I think 1-8 would work better for me, but would this rate blow up 40 grainers?

You opinions are appreciated.

We had a discussion here some time ago about this. The 223 WSSM is notorious for tearing apart bullets. I would go with the 1:10. It will let you shoot the 65grn bullets.

Tank

We had a discussion here some time ago about this. The 223 WSSM is notorious for tearing apart bullets. I would go with the 1:10. It will let you shoot the 65grn bullets.

Tank

+1 Even a 1 in 12 will work if you are going to load hard.

I have a 1 in 15 on mine and it shoots the 60 to 70 grain bullets well. It was built for the 35
to 40 grain bullets @ 4400+ but does good with the bigger bullets because of the velocity.

Go with the 1 in 10 and if you want to shoot 40 grain bullets use the 40 grain Ballistic tip
(Because it is very tough and will hold together).

The 1 in 8 or 1 in 7 are good in the 223 Rem with the biggest bullets because the velocity is
way down from the 223 WSM.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.