Twist Rate for 300 Win Mag

All,

I am about to have a LR rig built by Proof Research. I am wondering what the best twist rate for the following set up would be?

300 win mag 26in Match Grade barrel:
shooting the 185 grain Hunting VLD bullet by berger
sometimes shooting the 168 grain Hunting VLD bullet by berger

Also, If I wanted to use the 210's on browns and grizzlies would the above recommended twist rates harm a shot that would be under 200 yards.

I have contacted Berger via email with no response yet. So I am wondering what the communities thoughts are on the question.

Thank you in advance for your feed back.

Mine is a 1 in 10. I shoot some 168 and 175 Barnes which has a recommended 10 twist. The rest of what I shoot are big long Bergers. Berger has recommended twist rates on the box and twist rate listed for each bullet on their website as you have most likely seen. This is kind of like asking about buying a dodge truck and you are wondering which engine to get.
Every bullet has a recommended twist, your builder will have input and this place is full of all the knowledge you could wish for.

Mine is a 1 in 10. I shoot some 168 and 175 Barnes which has a recommended 10 twist. The rest of what I shoot are big long Bergers. Berger has recommended twist rates on the box and twist rate listed for each bullet on their website as you have most likely seen. This is kind of like asking about buying a dodge truck and you are wondering which engine to get.
Every bullet has a recommended twist, your builder will have input and this place is full of all the knowledge you could wish for.
True, but you cannot spin them too fast.

The best advice is to look up the recommended twist rates for the heaviest bullets you intend to shoot in a given caliber and go with that. The lighter bullets will do just fine with the faster twist.

Can you turn the lighter bullets to fast? Do you think that a 1:10 twist rate is to fast for the 168's. Although my main focus is the 185's and the 210's, I still want to be able to use the 168's on white tails. I have had better results on whitetails with that round.

Best Regards,

Stewart

Can you turn the lighter bullets to fast? Do you think that a 1:10 twist rate is to fast for the 168's. Although my main focus is the 185's and the 210's, I still want to be able to use the 168's on white tails. I have had better results on whitetails with that round.

Best Regards,

Stewart
No you cannot. The worst you'd do is add extra spin drift and long range.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.