turrets

Raghorn

Hi i have a leupold vx3 4.5 +14 with cds dail. Has any one used the replacement dail from kenton industries are they any good.I would like to have them build one for me that will go to a 1000 yards thanks for the info .

no first hand experience with the kentons, but do with leupold dials. Just get it in MOA and your good to go. Besides, load specific turrets are... well... easy and not as accurate to enviromental conditions.

CDS style turrets are great for up to around 600 yards, but after that conditions are too imposing. You might get away with it with a fast, big cartridge, but why? MOA or MILL-RAD can be just as fast with alot more flexibility.

I can see using one on a RUM or bigger, or if you wont be shooting in diffrent elevations/temps often. I know a few guys that like em' but i sure dont.

So again if it were me, I would just get a MOA turret and learn how to shoot long range.

Hi i have a leupold vx3 4.5 +14 with cds dail. Has any one used the replacement dail from kenton industries are they any good.I would like to have them build one for me that will go to a 1000 yards thanks for the info .
I had them on a Leupold 6-18x40 and they worked very well. I sold the scope to a friend and he flat loves them.

With a Leupold though I'd just get Leupold custom turrets.

I have a Kenton Turret on my Leupold VX3 4.5 X 14 but mine isn't the CDS and Leupold was going to have to retrofit mine so I just ordered Kenton instead. Its built for my 7mm Rem Mag 160gr nosler accubonds. So far last week I shot as far out as 800 yards at 15inch steel target I made. My buddy has the CDS dials on his and just recently ordered an extra turret from Leupold with more range for his 300wsm.

Note. If you just get the standard MOA turrets, once you get a load worked up and dialed in you can use a thin piece of tape on the upper edge of the elevation scale and mark it for known ranges to help you when time is a critical factor, or to just make it easier when engaging different rage targets at the range.

Remember that custom turrets for any given load will only be approximations, and only close approximations for that particular load under standard conditions.

Hence the standard MOA turrets will give you much better precision and consistency and will work with any given load under any given condition as long as your dope is accurate.

I have tried the paper strip on factory turrets. It confirmed my suspisions that its only good for very similar atmospheric conditions. I have seen film clips of Gunwerks and Greybull who use them successfully, but do they have a heap of different turrets for different conditions?

I have found mine to be out by as much as 1.5moa at a mere 400yds. This is enough to cause a clean miss or worse still, a wounded lost animal.

I forgot to mention that Kenton made them 100yard zero thru 1000 yards. I tried another load other than the 160 Accubonds for the heck of it. Some 150gr SMK I had loaded and I could hit the steel with those and the same turret as well. I guess It just kinda worked out.

I have the Kenton turrets on a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 mounted on a Weatherby Mark V Accumark in 280AI.

It was calibrated for 140 gr accubonds at 3060fps, 4000ft elevation, 200yrd zero and had them take it out to 1000yrds. Most of my hunting is done at 2000-6000 feet. (I know thats a big differance at longer ranges) When you order them. They recommend staying within + or - 2000 ft of your profile. But this is my travel / mountain rifle. And I have had no problem making clean kills at both elevation extremes out to 800 yards. There is a 12" differance in drops, for that load, at 800 yards between 2k and 6k. And I have held over or under 6" as neccesary.

The same scope was originally on my buddies 30-378 with turrets for his load and he found them incredibly accurate as well.

IF one provides them with GOOD data for YOUR load and rifle, I have found them to be spot on an worth the money.

I have had good success with the Kenton's on my Leupold scope. I have also used the Huskemaw and Nightforce/Gunwerks G7 scopes with yardage turrets. I have found that with good familiarity of my load's ballistics, I can accurately compensate out to 1000 yards for changes in altitude and temperature with come-ups, (or downs) given the altitude differences are within 2000 feet and temperaures are within 30 degrees of the turret's calibration. More recently, I purchased the G7 BR 2 range finder which will automatically give an adjusted range using a single turret. It has a built-in ballistic calculator that also measures air density, temperature, and angle for up to five different loads. While not cheap, it's a great product that works well, especially if you like to use yardage turret's.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.