Turret Press

G

Looking to move into a turret press. HArrells or Redding. The redding is a bit cheaper and I'm not so sure the Harrells makes any better ammo than the Redding??

Any opinions....Advice...Comments?

I'd like to get my dies set up and leave them that way, maybe get a few different turrets etc. Then I'll put the RCBS Rockchucker up for sale? Or just keep it??

Joe

Don't even give it a second thought, go with Lynwood Harrell's press. That man does nothing but the best work. On top of that he's a heck of a fine man to deal with. Anybody that has one of his powder measures will tell you how much they like his products. I know I do!

My main objection to turret presses, except for pistols, is that with that type press, one stroke decaps the brass and the next re-primes. Not very conducive to accuracy, not cleaning the primer pockets. You have one of the best presses made. Not a lot of work, unscrewing one die and screwing in another.

Well for me screwining and un-screwing the dies is not the issue. It's keeping the dies set up and leaving them alone that I want. I have seen run-out change after changing a die over. I'm thinking thats the logic?

Also...I'd like to have one to bring to the range...Wait, I just answered y own question /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe

barreledaction,
be careful not to confuse the turret press with the progressive press. The turret can be used (to some extent) as a progressive, but you don't have to do it that way... on some anyway. The neat thing about a turret press is that you don't have to unscrew dies all the time, just swap to the head for the caliber, and youre done.
take loading a 7mm rem mag for instance...
Ill batch load all of the steps up untill ive got primed brass. Then a case goes into the shell holder. One stroke bumps the shoulder back, turn turret, check headspace with redding instant indicator, turn, neck size (those two happen while the powder scale is stabalizing.... or being trickled depending on batch size) turn, drop powder, turn, seat bullet, turn, check bullet depth with redding instant indicator, and then place in box, or throw it on the neco for the first few rounds and make sure everything is looking good. If you wanted to, you could substitute a belt collet for one of the redding instant indicators.or a crimper... or expander for lead bullets.... or a power case trimmer.... the options just go on and on...

it sounds like a long process, but if you are loading a bunch of ammo, and you want to weigh charges (or have an automatic powder despensor) it flies compared to batch loading.
oh, back on topic... I have never used the Harrells, but their powder measures are superb!

I looked at that. The thing I like about the Harrells is it's smaller from what I understand?

An excuse to buy more toys?? could be.

Joe

I've never seen a Harrells but his powder measures are the best. I would think that something like the Harrells being kinda semi custom would probably be more accuratly made that an cast mass produced unit

I have a Forster Bonanza that I woulden't give up for anything and swapping dies coulden't be any easier. Loads very accurate ammo to

i'll second the forster bonanza,you let the rings locked in place for next time.but die height is limited,(long redding seaters)

[ QUOTE ]
I've never seen a Harrells but his powder measures are the best. I would think that something like the Harrells being kinda semi custom would probably be more accuratly made that an cast mass produced unit

I have a Forster Bonanza that I woulden't give up for anything and swapping dies coulden't be any easier. Loads very accurate ammo to

[/ QUOTE ] The really neat things about the CO-AX press, the way my forearm is over the case while being primed (I always loved that), The auto shell holders ability to tear the head off the case leaving the case stuck in the die (sorta breaks the rhythm)I tried two of them over the years and don't have one now. The slip in die feature was OK, until you use the side set screw to lock the die in place.

Keep the rockcrusher.
I have used turrents for ever.
And lyman Has the less.. issues the rcbs is Junk.
By that i mean i had to rework the head on the lyman by surface grinding.
I picked up the rcbs on the thought that I will set up and use it at the range, less die changes,
The rcbs press rocks on the center post .018" and case run out was terrible.
Anew center bolt and washer plus i filed .008"off the center post and run out is about.0015" on some stations, still not happy with it,
if some one make a better one harrel? Redding i would probably go with them.
[image][/image]

No, You can purchase the entire die with small and large primer seater the only thing you need is a shell holder rcbs, lyman will work.
The plastic trays and feed ramp is pretty chensy but it works.
The set screw is a modification of mine there are three so that the shell holder can be centered. I cross drilled the primer chute so i could insert a pin to stop the feed.

So you pull the pin out to feed one primer push the pin back in a seat.
Good Idea, by the looks of things in your picture I'd say your a machinist or have something to do with the machinist career field, cutter tubes on the far right and numerous Starrett tools, the muzzle break and a few other key items all suggest this.
If so what program do you use or are you manual machinist? Do you have cnc equipment and all that?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.