Turning around.....could save your life.

My Dad taught me this been looking behind me for about 40 years now...

Very sound advice. I rarely carried a compass when I lived in CO, or even KY. Just turned alot and stayed "fixed" to known landmarks.

But then I moved to the Adirondacks. Up here, you can turn 360, 720, even 1080, and your view isn't necessarily going to change. In fact, turn enough and you just might disorient yourself.:)

This has happened to me an led to some self-embarrassment after 25 years in the backcountry:

I once left a known trail in the Adirondacks while tracking some game. 100yds in, I was hopelessly lost! Even the GPS was misleading me. I didn't trust my senses, at least at first, because everything looked the same - in every direction. Fortunately, my sense of direction got me back to the known trail. I'm the only one who was the wiser, until now, of course. But, for a few uncomfortable minutes, I knew what it was like to not really know which way was home.

So, Please do it all. Maps, compass, GPS, turn around - even cheat if you have to.:). Not sure how you cheat, but the point is always stay oriented and cognizant of your surroundings in the backcountry!

Last edited:
Been in the Adirondack mountains and know what you mean...and it is big. They are contained within the 6.1 million acres of the Adirondack Park and is the largest park and the largest state-level protected area in the contiguous US. Also the largest National Historic Landmark. The park's land area's about the size Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Glacier and Great Smokey Mountains combined.

And most people think NY is just one big city and New Yorkers are just a bunch of city slickers:):):). Go a few miles north of NYC and it can get pretty lonely.

Been in the Adirondack mountains and know what you mean...and it is big. They are contained within the 6.1 million acres of the Adirondack Park and is the largest park and the largest state-level protected area in the contiguous US. Also the largest National Historic Landmark. The park's land area's about the size Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Glacier and Great Smokey Mountains combined.

And most people think NY is just one big city and New Yorkers are just a bunch of city slickers:):):). Go a few miles north of NYC and it can get pretty lonely.

I always chuckle at the notion expressed in your last line, even though I was guilty of the same before coming here.

I've always been impressed with the heartiness of the "mountainmen" I've had the pleasure of meeting from the Adirondacks. While, you don't have the absolute elevation found in the western US mountains, the remoteness, thick timber, heavy, wet snow, fog and bugs:) can be extremely challenging.

It's all good stuff, though, no matter where you are. With that, I guess I've introduced myself to the rest of the site.

Sorry, for the digression, now back to....Turning Around

Bearwalk, sorry didn't notice you were a new member. Glad to have you here.

Great advise. But as I get older, my brain can digest all that data. When i was young I didn't have too much trouble . Does any one bother to pay attension to your own foot print or track ? Could you identify your own track? Your sons or friends?

Familiarizing yourself with your surroundings is a must when you're outdoors. If you can do it with streets, buildings and roads; you can do it with trees, slopes and the likes.

Definitely being familiar with your surroundings and looking back and where you have come from is a must. I've been turned around coon hunting at night as a kid in our own pastures until the fog lifted enough to see tower lights or I got enough elevation to identify landmarks.

If you're going into unfamiliar territory Google Earth is a good tool too. I try to do some long range scouting this way and mark some key points on my map I take to the field. Also know how many ridges,creeks, etc you have crossed. Many places if you stay in the same canyon heading downstream will get you to a road eventually.

very solid advice. You have to pay attention and keep looking back so that you will recognize the area. It always looks different from different angles/distances.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.