turning and reforming brass

10X

I need some expert tips on what tools to use to turn and reform brass. I want to rebate the rim so it fits my bolt head. how do I hold the cases and is there a tool available for rim turning.
I am not new to making wildcats but this is my first time turning a rim
the obvious question.. well the answer is I dont want to open up the bolt head because I have 3 barrels for this gun and I change it around now I want to use a bigger case for metalic silhouette

I do mine on the lathe also, but I do it like an oldtimer showed me,put a brass rod in the chuck, turn it to the size of the bullet,push the case on with the tailstock,turn then pull the case off. I don,t know how you chuck the case in.Seems it would be hard to turn even!

I have done this in my lathe with a form tool that I made. Soft ( machinable) collets are available to make a custom one for your specific case.What case are you trying to modify to what bolt face?

I made a tapperd sleve that was chucked up in the lathe, the shell casing presses into the sleve, just lightly tap the case, it will not move. Then there is a cut out for a small screw driver to fit into, this acts like an extractor to remove the caseing. I made a wildcat for a customer, he wanted to make a 338 mag for a short action rifle. We took 348 win cases, turned off the rims, cut an extractor groove, improved the case to a 40 deg shoulder, short fat case that fit into a Rem 600 action. Made a heck of a mountain rifle. Velocity was equal to that of a 338 win mag, non belted mag case. Sound familar? I only made one of these rifles, too much work making the cases.

Dave

I would like to mention the case and such but I also want to keep it a secret for a while. If all works well it will be a new wildcat with my name on it. I am taking a case changing the neck size re-doing the sholder shortening the case and also rebating the rim.all to get enough power to knock the targets down at 500. it will be like a wsm but with a rebated rim

Hi i have rebated rims on 8X68S cases, 300 Win MAg cases with the belt turned off and others to 308 size (.470) and also have rebated BR cases to PPC head size and also PPC and BR cases to 223 head size their is no problem at all. Just gring up a form tool and make a tapered sleve to fit into the lathe chuck then use the live centre in the flash hole to hold it secure and turn the rim in one operation if removing the belt a seperate operation is required.

Cheers Bill
Australia

So what is the base case and what rim size do you want to get it to we dont care about the projectile diameter or any other case specifications as i know where you are coming from i have a few designs myself that i like to keep under my hat. Also make sure when you order you head space guages you ask for them rebated to the boltface diameter you want to turn the cases to. I have Dave Kiff make mine and he does a great job. Am working on 2 more wildcats for F Class Open at the moment a 30 cal and 7mm. The 30 cal should fire 240gr Sierra MAtchKings around 2900fps for a coustomer and a 7mm that should push the 200gr Wildcat projectiles around 3000fps both diferent cases both cases rebated to 308 size because they will be switch barrels with a second barrel in a 6mm wildcat on the 6X47 Lapua case with shorter neck and 40 degree shoulder for me, and a 6X47 Lapua for the other shooter.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts