Tune up ?s for New Savage 112 BVSS

This is the action part that made me start thinking:

Tech Talk with Fred Moreo- The Dean of Savage smiths

"When we true an action, it consists of much more than just machining a few mating surfaces. First the lead-in angles (the ramps that lead into the lug seats) are re-cut to a true helical cam. The factory cuts are made with an end-mill, and are not helical. A helical cam is like a spiral staircase, and I have developed special tooling to precisely cut the lead-in angles to engage the whole width of the bolt lugs. The receiver face and the lug seats are machined to square them up relative to the receiver threads, not to the bore of the receiver like most gunsmiths would do using conventional wisdom. The reason for this is the barrel will be square to the bolt face. Concentricity behind the bolt head is not critical, as the "float" in the bolt head will allow the bolt body to be off center as much as .045" in any direction, and still get full lug contact, although I've never seen one that bad."

I guess we will see if it helps My action hasn't been touched yet. I will shoot it this way and measure and then use the same load and measure after I get it worked over(trued and timed) by Sharp shooters supply. Man this 2010 project is starting to get interesting.

Thanks for the idea guys I am curious if it is worth it also. That is why I love this fourm, everybody is from different backgrounds and thinks just a little differently.

Brent

Last edited:
180 gr Nosler BT's and 208 gr AMax's work rather well in my Savage 300 Win Mag. I use H4832, Retumbo, or H1000 for powder.

This is the action part that made me start thinking:

Tech Talk with Fred Moreo- The Dean of Savage smiths

"When we true an action, it consists of much more than just machining a few mating surfaces. First the lead-in angles (the ramps that lead into the lug seats) are re-cut to a true helical cam. The factory cuts are made with an end-mill, and are not helical. A helical cam is like a spiral staircase, and I have developed special tooling to precisely cut the lead-in angles to engage the whole width of the bolt lugs. The receiver face and the lug seats are machined to square them up relative to the receiver threads, not to the bore of the receiver like most gunsmiths would do using conventional wisdom. The reason for this is the barrel will be square to the bolt face. Concentricity behind the bolt head is not critical, as the "float" in the bolt head will allow the bolt body to be off center as much as .045" in any direction, and still get full lug contact, although I've never seen one that bad."

I guess we will see if it helps My action hasn't been touched yet. I will shoot it this way and measure and then use the same load and measure after I get it worked over(trued and timed) by Sharp shooters supply. Man this 2010 project is starting to get interesting.

Thanks for the idea guys I am curious if it is worth it also. That is why I love this fourm, everybody is from different backgrounds and thinks just a little differently.

Brent

Cool!

Also, you might check your fired case volume in water grains before and after truing. It may decrease a bit if he goes for a minimum head space chamber. Won't have much effect but it is an interesting bit of data to have.

The best load may change by a couple of tenths of a grain but not much more than that for other reasons. The dynamics of the barrel receiver joint may change with the better fit (squared up receiver face and nut).

Looking forward to reading about this.

After some initial range trips I'm going to change the recoil lug on mine to one from Sharp Shooter Supply. While the receiver is off the barrel I'm going to face it to true it up, true the barrel nut, recrown it, and reassemble it with as close to minimum head space as I can get with the TO gage still going, then glass/pillar bed it. Can't really do them one at a time to see the effect of them seperately so it will be a simple before/after test.

Fitch

Congradulations on your find! The 112 BVSS in 300 WM is getting really hard to find and is out of production. I was lucky enough to buy a used one from Tika Lover here on the forum and it's hands down my favorite long range rifle. I own several Remingtons including Sendero's but this out shoots 'em all. T-L has the action bedded and one of Kirby Allen's painkiller muzzle brakes put on it. I loaded up a safe moderate load with A3100 powder and some Nosler Ballistic tips in 180. At the range the first 3 shots went into one hole and measured .220. Needless to say I was more than happy and wondered why in the world Tika Lover let this one get away. I reworked the trigger down to 18 oz. and that's it. Here's a link to my kids shooting it at 1075 yards on Youtube:

YouTube - 1000 + YARD SHOOTING BY KIDS! LONG RANGE SHOOTING

I'm trying a new load with the 210 grain Berger VLD's this week. Can't wait to see what that .631 B.C will do for me. Have fun I think you have a winner there!

Congradulations on your find! The 112 BVSS in 300 WM is getting really hard to find and is out of production. I was lucky enough to buy a used one from Tika Lover here on the forum and it's hands down my favorite long range rifle. I own several Remingtons including Sendero's but this out shoots 'em all. T-L has the action bedded and one of Kirby Allen's painkiller muzzle brakes put on it. I loaded up a safe moderate load with A3100 powder and some Nosler Ballistic tips in 180. At the range the first 3 shots went into one hole and measured .220. Needless to say I was more than happy and wondered why in the world Tika Lover let this one get away. I reworked the trigger down to 18 oz. and that's it. Here's a link to my kids shooting it at 1075 yards on Youtube:

YouTube - 1000 + YARD SHOOTING BY KIDS! LONG RANGE SHOOTING

I'm trying a new load with the 210 grain Berger VLD's this week. Can't wait to see what that .631 B.C will do for me. Have fun I think you have a winner there!

That's good stuff. Keep up the shooting.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.