Tube gun

BillR

I'm looking at building a .338 Edge and finally got a Rem 700 LA with the magnum bolt face. I am now looking to get the parts all put together for the build and while looking at different things such as stocks, recoil lugs, etc. I came across something interesting on 6MM Benchrest in one of their gun of the week articles. A Tube gun. In the article it talked about how stable and easy these guns are to build and use with the resulting accuracy. Looking at the web site where the tube parts are sold I found that I could get a kit for the LA Rem 700 in a repeater that would handle up to the .338 Lapua case length. Not sure is that is long enough for the Edge yet though. All this presents some interesting possibilities.
Question I have to the gunsmiths on the forum is have any of you built a gun like this and what was the results.
I'm almost thinking about building one that is a switch barrel just for giggles as I would not have to worry about barrel diameter or length. There are a couple of stocks out there that would work good on it as it can take an AR type butt stock and as far as painting it that would be super simple as if I don't like it I can just strip it and start over.
But for simplicity of build and easy handling due to the fact it has to be lighter than a regular stock as almost everything is aluminum except for the action and barrel and recoil lug. It really has me thinking.
COMPETITION SHOOTING STUFF

Last edited:
I have done some tube guns and they are nice you have a 3.600 oal for the repeater in the COMPETITION SHOOTING STUFF

EWallace, what did you think of the tube gun as compared to a regular stocked gun. What I'm thinking of for the build is the following
Magpul PRS stock with the adjustable LOP and Cheek piece.
Use the single shot model as it looks like the Mag length might limit me a bit. (Gun is not going to be a gun that's going to be used for walking around with and I load single shot with half my guns now and just load from a wrist band and is almost as fast as a magazine to use.
30" barrel not including the muzzle break.

Thats about as far as I have gone in thinking this through but it all looks doable.

I think they would make a good long range hunting rig just add a bipod and sling studs and you good to go.
Eric

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.