Tube diamiter?

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by kc, Mar 28, 2012.

1. kc

kc Well-Known Member

Is a 30mm diamiter better than a one inch diamiter?

2. mackgee

mackgee Well-Known Member

The way I understand it, the only thing you gain from the 30mm tubes is you have more windage and elevation adjustment than you get with the 1 inch scopes. Other than that you don't gain anything else.

Mac

3. nratom

nratom Member

That's the way I also understand. Light gathering is not better with the same objective size.

4. bruce_ventura

bruce_ventura Well-Known Member

To get 6X zoom range, I think you need to go to 30 mm.

5. LouBoyd

LouBoyd Well-Known Member

That appears to be true, but I'd bet it's more driven by marketing than optical design necessity.

6. bruce_ventura

Read recently that the reason is mechanical. A 6X magnification range requires that lenses in the erector tube move further than for a 4X range. The power ring translates lenses via helical slots.

A single rotation of the power ring on a 1" tube cannot move lenses far enough for 6X. The helix angle in the translation mechanism would be too steep, requiring excessive torque. The same rotation of the power ring on a 30 mm tube can, however.

7. Max Heat

Max Heat Well-Known Member

The terms 4X and 6X are not really proper, in this context. It would be more proper to state it in terms of power adjustability (zoom) RATIO, as in 4:1 or 6:1.

8. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

... or simply X4 and X6! lightbulb

However, everyone seems to know exactly what it meant and responded accordingly.

9. Max Heat

That looks better I guess, being that it does not have the same appearance as magnification level. I'm not any sort of expert in optics or anything. In hindsight, I should have let it ride. What I just realized though, is that the magnification level itself is also a ratio. Only difference is that it is set "over" 1, instead of "to" 1.

10. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

i have a scope ordered that has a 10x zoom range, it's a 30mm. the 30mm tubes are basically much stronger . most have thicker side walls and the bigger diameter helps too.

11. Max Heat

Out of curiosity, what is the zoom range and objective size on that scope?

12. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

2.5-25 with a 42 bell

13. Colorado Cruiser

Colorado Cruiser Active Member

If all of the above is true, why does vortex use a 34mm tube in the razor and it is a 4X (5x to 20x)? Maybe light transmission??

14. bruce_ventura

It's actually a 35 mm tube. It gives a whopping 125 moa of reticle adjustment. I think it's all for product differentiation.