TTSX at longer distances

Firearrow

With the impending state wide ban of lead bullets for hunting in CA I have been looking at other bullet options for hunting. I use a 190 Berger for my 300 mag. I was wondering if anyone has any feed back on on the 180 Barnes TTSX at distances out to 800 yards. Any feed back is appreciated. Thanks.

I've shot quite a few to that distance.In my 3oo rum they are still my favorite bullet,,and legal too here in A zone California.

I have had excellent luck with the barnes TTSX 168gr in my 300 RUM on game out to 519 yards and have shot paper out to 800 yards. Excellent accuracy and performance. I have put these completely thru a bull moose stem to stern, 5+ feet of penetration, at 200 yards. I seriously doubt that you have anything in california that would requite the extra 12gr of bullet weight.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. I have been looking at load data and have not seen anyone using H4831sc or H1000. Anyone using these powders for the Barnes.

I've shot deer and elk out to about 400+yards with the 180 ttsx and have had great results. I recently started reloading the 200lrx which shoots well but have yet to put one in an animal.
I am using 7828 (that's what I had on hand) with the ttsx and the berger 215. Both shoot better than 1/2 moa (when I do my part) with the edge going to the 215. In my particular gun when shooting the heavier bullets it likes the slower 7828 over the 4831.
If you want to be sneaky, I live in kalifornia too, you could carry some barnes but shoot with bergers although in my case they both perform well so it really doesn't matter.........

Last edited:
Cutting edge bullets shoot very well in my 300wm and look prurdy to boot:) but I have not shot anything with them or personally know anyone who has. So I have gone with what has worked for me in the past.

I use the 82gr Raptor's in my 6.8. They are my all purpose round for deer, pig, and bear. Hopefully the ban will not go into effect, when it passes, until next year and I can try all the bullets to see which one works the best.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts