TSX

If it were me I wouldn't worry about what shot in someone elses gun. I would start with what has been shooting good in my gun. Tsx's make ever so slightly more pressure than most other brands of the same wt. I would start one grain lower than my favorite load with other 150 grainers. I would set up 2 loads to try....one would be the exact same jump to the lands as my other accuracy loads with 150's and the other would be .050" jump to the lands. I would see which shoots better.
You may want to e-mail barnes and tell them you are using their bullets in the '06. My bet is they will e-mail you back within 3 hours their load data (including their accuracy pick powder for the 150's).
I think you'll find the tsx will shoot great with YOUR BEST ACCURACY LOADS for your gun.

I am not trying to correct Kraky but in my experience I have always had lower pressures with TSXs compared to the same weight standard lead/gilding metal bullet in the same gun. I have always had to add more powder to get the same velocity as standard bullets. At equivilent pressures (with more powder) I get much higher velocity (normally at least 100 fps) with the TSXs.
The only exception has been with the 30-378 where the differences are slight but still lower pressure with the TSXs than std. bullets.
The standard Barnes X bullets are however an entirely different story.
I still would go along with Kraky and reduce the load and work back up, as you should do when switching any reloading component.

Re: A buddy of mine is shooting.....

48.0g of IMR 4064 in his with the 150g Tripple shock in his stock 700. He told me that the groups are around an inch.

Hello James.....I don't want to take issue with what you've found either. I'm kind of a 30 cal. guy and have noticed (in my guns) that for some reason the tsx is making more velocity than other bullets of the same wt with the same powder charges. OVer at Accurate reloading.com there is a guy with pressure testing equipment that did some extensive research on the 30-06 with different powders and bullets. For him the 180 tsx was making slightly more pressure than a nosler partition with 1 grain less powder than the partition. Over at Real guns.com there is a guy with lots of data on different calibers. He's shooting the same bullet out of the same gun and it seems for him he's getting the same velocity out of the tsx at 1-2 grains less powder than partitions and hornady spire points.
Also, the data I;ve gotten from barnes that is supposed to be corrected for the tsx is greatly reduced from former printings from Barnes.
Now I know these are "readings of others experience" but it makes me a bit scared of trying the same loads with the tsx as other bullets. I've also noted what seems like big pressure and speed with the 168tsx in my 300 win mag and 300wby. And, for some reason that is one bullet that barnes backed their data down on considerably.
I believe in the principal that barnes has reduced pressure with the rings but they still have a long bullet that takes up alot of case capacity which could possibly lead to a slight increase in pressure.
So, I guess it's up to all of us to figure out what they do in our own guns just as you have. I've done some bedding on a problem 300 wby ultrlight and hope to get out and test some accubonds and tsx's this upcoming week. Hopefully I'll be smarter when done. I would sure like to see some extensive pressure tests on the tsx's from one of the expert reloaders here on the forums. The tsx is sure getting super popular with big game hunters.
Good shooting....Kraky

Barnes TSX Load
Thanks for the info fella's . I have extensive experience loading for cal.'s from 17 Rem. to 338 Win. mag. Being re-tired now , I just wanted someone's experience with the Barnes 150 gr. as they are so darn expensive to experiment with . I intend to use my old Rem. 721 (.06) for deer and antelope only . It is now wearing it's 5th barrel . I have some really good accurate loads for it but , don't like the explosiveness . I would like to get about 3000 fps. with the barnes 150 gr. and thought it would be tough enough to handle the speed . Thanks again
Tom

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone tried the 150 gr. TSX in 30:06 ? If so , what was your load ?
Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

57 Grains H-4350 win case win standard primer 50 tho off the lands 3 into 3/8" . This load took a Northern Alberta whitetail that went 350 plus on the hoof and gross scored 168. Shot 150 yards heart was rolling around in the chest cavity and the lungs were nothing but liquid. Not one step, lights out on the spot. Caliber sized hole going in quarter sized hole going out. Never ran this load across the chrony but shoots more than flat enough for any shots that will be taken with it.

Elk 32, One big factor with the TSX bullets is that some folks seat the bullet too close to the lands like a conventional bullet. TSX bullets should start as per Barnes .050 off the lands. Never closer than .030 as pressures really spike as you get closer to the lands. Some guns have their sweet spot as far out as .100 or more. Every barrel is slightly different, but normally you will need a little extra powder to make a similar velocity compared to a regular bullet. Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.