Trying to get into coyote hunting. . . sort of lost

If you're in an agricultural area, look for animal producers as places to hunt. It doesn't matter if it's chickens, pigs or cattle; when these animals are raised in quantity it will attract lots of coyotes. Around here, it's mostly cattle so I scout for coyotes by looking for cattle producers. When I've found them, I've found coyotes, guaranteed. And as a bonus, you can also guarantee that you've found a landowner who wants his coyotes shot.

You might also want to check out coyoteschool.blogspot.com as an educational source.

triggerpress

That is my experience as well... :)

Turns out we are heading over to Alberta to visit the in-laws for Christmas they have a pig farm appr 3/4 mile south and cattle ranch right across the road... :D

I don't have to go far to find coyotes there last time I was out I watched 7 bedded down 500 yards behind the house (taking my 6mm-284 this year for these guys) and only walked 300 yards from the house across the road to set up shot the first one @ 40 yards it came in from over 500 yards used my Primus Ki-Yi call taking my Foxpro FX3 and Jack in the Box decoy this year... :cool:

Rifles I'm taking this year are...

Robinson Arms XCR-L with 18.6" barreled uppers in 223 loaded with 60gr Sierra HP's & 6.8 SPC loaded with 95gr TTSX
Sako 85 Grey Wolf 22" barrel in 22-250 loaded with 52gr Speer HP's & 55gr Ballistic Tips
Older made in Germany Voere long action 22" barrel in 6mm-284 loaded with 70gr Ballistic Tips

Here is the coyote I shot 300 yards across the road from the house used my T/C Contender carbine in 223 loaded with 40gr V-Max @ 3400fps (leaving it at home this year also have a 204 Ruger barrel for it now) temp was -34 C = freaking cold...

Dec_08_to_Feb_09_066.jpg

gun)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.