trying to find the right scope

Thank you so much for replying. Not many of the friends I shoot with have huge glass. Pretty much 5-25x58 is the biggest next the vortex pst 6-24x50. Im very hesitant to find a magnifier to ad on. I know theres a benchrest match in ga in april. I might just go to watch and hopefully look thru a few scopes..

What about a Vortex Gen. 2 4.5-27 ? I had two PSTs and IMO they are sub-par. USO 5-25 on my Bushmaster and a NF on my 300.

The Gen 2 is my favorite.

Sorefoot, Apart frOm maybe your eyes being maybe a factor, which may not be the case, ther is no ideal scope. There is a long thread on LRH on this but in summary everything is a compromise. I have 5-25 S&B for out to 1200 for my Snipetac .375. Wonderful combination. I have two 12-50 S&B for .375AM and .338. As has mentioned at 50x mirage, clarity and click range becomes a problem. I mostly use this one on the.375 AM at about 40x, zero at 400yds, and with a 40MOA base I get to 2200 yds. After that I hold over. Although somebody usually calls the shots I also like to see where they land and at 50x that is also difficult.

Sorefoot:

1. Have you made that ophthalmologist appointment?
2. Have you determined that you are not cross dominant (i.e., where your dominant eye is not your normal shooting eye). Try looking through your "non-normal" eye and see if the picture improves.
3. Mirage, when present, is going to be an issue no matter what...but it is not always present and that's when you can get value from the extra magnification. You can't dial up to a magnification you don't have in the scope.
4. Skketter, I believe, knows, that LynnJr uses the MOAB. Lynn has figured out how to make it work just fine with his .50 BMG. That noted, you do NOT need a ton of elevation in your scope. If you are into MOA, consider the MOAB base. If you are into Mils, consider the new micrometer Ivey setup - Iveyshooting.com

My take is that having a competent professional evaluate your eyes is #1 on the priority list.

Be well.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.