Trying to Decide on Reloading press.

With those standards, you must be neck turning??

Yes .

I size and prep the cases before I turn the necks, then I fire form to get everything concentric.
after that I size only enough to chamber the cases.

This method gives me the best concentricity (Run Out).

I used to turn the necks after they were fired and then prepped them. Lots of run out this way.

When making wildcat cases I size them and prep them In there original form, turn the necks, and
then resize the necks to the new caliber and fire form. Changing the neck diameter after turning
them produced the best results for me.

Even this has not produced 100% true loads every time. Even though the brass is new when I start
It may need a good accurate anneal in the beginning.

Maybe Gary will share some of his methods, His results are better than mind as I'm sure others have
it figured out better than me also.

J E CUSTOM

Yes .

I size and prep the cases before I turn the necks, then I fire form to get everything concentric.
after that I size only enough to chamber the cases.

This method gives me the best concentricity (Run Out).

I used to turn the necks after they were fired and then prepped them. Lots of run out this way.

When making wildcat cases I size them and prep them In there original form, turn the necks, and
then resize the necks to the new caliber and fire form. Changing the neck diameter after turning
them produced the best results for me.

Even this has not produced 100% true loads every time. Even though the brass is new when I start
It may need a good accurate anneal in the beginning.

Maybe Gary will share some of his methods, His results are better than mind as I'm sure others have
it figured out better than me also.

J E CUSTOM
Great to know. Thanks!

I did a test a while back on the effects of run out on accuracy and this is what I found.

Zero run out was without question the best for accuracy (Pretty obvious) I saw some slight loss
in accuracy with .001 thousandths run out.

.002 thousandths run out was measurable in accuracy loss.

.003 needed to be straightened to improve the accuracy and at .004 thousandths straightening
made them worse because it changed the neck tension.

So I use the .004 run out loads for fouling and testing. For extreme accuracy, I stay with .000 to .001 as loaded run out without straightening .

I use a .0005 dial indicator and it works ok. I may need to go with a .00010 gage. (if it didn't drive me crazy)

J E CUSTOM

in my tool box is a nearly new one tenth Interrapid indicator. Youy just don't get better than these, but the damned thing is so touchy I hate it! On the otherhand I have a five tenth Interrapid that looks just like it. Smooth as glass, and I can actually turn the dial without moving it. I have two or three Federals that are easier to use in the one tenth range, but they also have a little built in lag (not a real problem if you learn to get around it). The lines are large enough with the Interrapid that I can accurately split the increments, and get down in the .00025" range. The B&S Best Test is similar, and I'd almost swear that they were built by Interrapid. I Have a couple cigar boxes full of indicators that have been handed to me over the years. Most came out of dial bore gauges, but a small hand full are the jeweled versions. Problem with them is that the latter ones have a limited travel ( one of them has about three thousandths travel!)

gary

I'm running a Lyman T2 press and so far it seems to be rock solid. Very smooth up stoke and great leverage on the down stroke. Only complaint is I wish it came with the inspector to decap, clean, trim, prime, charge and seat all the brass I have.

Cliff.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.