Trying to Decide on Reloading press.

dan25

I have never actually reloaded and am looking to start. I have a rcbs beam scale, rcbs trickler, and redding die set with micrometer. I will be reloading for 300 win mag, 22-250, 270, and 30-06. I have done alot of research on presses and am set on a Forster Co-ax, Redding Big Boss, or RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme. As far as I can tell, the Co-ax seems to reload the best with minimal runout issues. My only concern is I have read that some of micrometer dies (300 win mag) don't clear the yoke on the handle and bullet pulling can be a pain. I need some solid information and input from someone who knows reloading. Is the Co-ax really worth the money? Will it reload more acurate ammo than the other presses mentioned? Will I have clearance issues with my 300 win mag micrometer dies? I don't want to regret my most important purchase of a reloading press. Thanks for all of your help.

The newer co-ax presses come with higher clearance to alleviate this problem. I have an old Bonanza Co-ax and haven't had an issue but I don't load really long rounds either. I truly love my co-ax and just use a kinetic puller to disassemble the few I pull apart.

I have never actually reloaded and am looking to start. I have a rcbs beam scale, rcbs trickler, and redding die set with micrometer. I will be reloading for 300 win mag, 22-250, 270, and 30-06. I have done alot of research on presses and am set on a Forster Co-ax, Redding Big Boss, or RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme. As far as I can tell, the Co-ax seems to reload the best with minimal run out issues. My only concern is I have read that some of micrometer dies (300 win mag) don't clear the yoke on the handle and bullet pulling can be a pain. I need some solid information and input from someone who knows reloading. Is the Co-ax really worth the money? Will it reload more accurate ammo than the other presses mentioned? Will I have clearance issues with my 300 win mag micrometer dies? I don't want to regret my most important purchase of a reloading press. Thanks for all of your help.

There are a lot of good presses available and My recommendation would be the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme.

I like the mechanical advantage it has when loading Big cases and It's accuracy.

Run out issues are normally caused by the brass and die setup and prep.

I have been loading for over 50 years and still have my Original Rock Chucker and the newest
model for the really big cartridges and have never had an issue with excessive run out.

I am a little extravagant when it comes to hunting/shooting gear but have never Seen the need to change my reloading press.

Just My opinion

J E CUSTOM

Run out issues are normally caused by the brass and die setup and prep.

This is gospel. and one of the reasons I made the change to the Rddding T-7 years ago. Once my dies are set up true and locked in they stay there. No need to remove dies when I want to change calibers. I realize the T-7 was not on your list, but in my opinion well worth the look.

Jeff

JE Custom , have you ever used anything but a Rockchucker ? I started on a Rockchucker and loaded on it for years before buying the Co-ax and much prefer the Co-ax press. I have also used an inexpensive lee aluminum press that made good ammunition and a lee classic cast press that is every bit as good as my old Rockchucker press for much less money. I'm also not a fan of outsourcing to China for castings.

Anyone use the new coax with taller micrometer dies? Anyone elae like the t7 press?

Jeff,
You think the Redding Big Boss is just as good as the T7 if I am not looking to have a turret? I am on a somewhat limited budget.

This is gospel. and one of the reasons I made the change to the Rddding T-7 years ago. Once my dies are set up true and locked in they stay there. No need to remove dies when I want to change calibers. I realize the T-7 was not on your list, but in my opinion well worth the look.

Jeff

If you are on a limited budget then look at the Lee Classic Cast press. Every bit as good as the RCBS and Redding single stage presses for much less money.

I use the forester co-ax press with the redding micrometer seating dies. There is alot of clearance for them. Jesse.

JE Custom , have you ever used anything but a Rockchucker ? I started on a Rockchucker and loaded on it for years before buying the Co-ax and much prefer the Co-ax press. I have also used an inexpensive lee aluminum press that made good ammunition and a lee classic cast press that is every bit as good as my old Rockchucker press for much less money. I'm also not a fan of outsourcing to China for castings.

To be perfectly honest, I have never owned anything else.

I have helped others set up there loading presses and dies on many other makes of presses and some I did not like and others I did like. I check run our on all of my precision ammo and never found any other press that would do any better, so I stuck with the press I was familiar with.

Like everyone else I have my likes and dislikes and also my needs so I chose what works best for my wants and requirements.

I have tried the progressive presses and don't need the production and also I feel I have better control doing things one at a time. I have also tried the turret presses and was uncomfortable with the amount of slack in the turret .

My press loads ammo to within .000 to .003 with an occasional .004 run out. I would be happier if it was all .000 but I'm not sure that is achievable.

If I were undecided I would probably go with Broz on the selection.

J E CUSTOM

the die issue started many years ago when the Redding .308 seater wouldn't clear the handle, but the Forster seater would (better seater anyway). Back then Redding made five or six micrometer seaters, and Forster did their whole line up. Later Forster redesigned their handle (about two years later). The newer style handle is interchangeable with the older versions. This was at least 15 years ago, and might have been even longer.

gary

To be perfectly honest, I have never owned anything else.

I have helped others set up there loading presses and dies on many other makes of presses and some I did not like and others I did like. I check run our on all of my precision ammo and never found any other press that would do any better, so I stuck with the press I was familiar with.

Like everyone else I have my likes and dislikes and also my needs so I chose what works best for my wants and requirements.

I have tried the progressive presses and don't need the production and also I feel I have better control doing things one at a time. I have also tried the turret presses and was uncomfortable with the amount of slack in the turret .

My press loads ammo to within .000 to .003 with an occasional .004 run out. I would be happier if it was all .000 but I'm not sure that is achievable.

If I were undecided I would probably go with Broz on the selection.

J E CUSTOM

I start to look for issues if I see .0017" TIR in my ammo. I have loaded 20 round lots in the .0008" range a few times, but still not often. Normally I'm in the twelve to fourteen tenth range. My sized cases usually will come in at about .0005" / .0008" with checks made on my Neco and my home built gauge using high end dial indicators. With my arbor press and Wilson dies I run about three tenths less runout. I do have a home built .222 die that Pindell built to his chamber reamer, and it is a true .00075" die. Sadly the only .222 gun I own isn't that good!
gary

I start to look for issues if I see .0017" TIR in my ammo. I have loaded 20 round lots in the .0008" range a few times, but still not often. Normally I'm in the twelve to fourteen tenth range. My sized cases usually will come in at about .0005" / .0008" with checks made on my Neco and my home built gauge using high end dial indicators. With my arbor press and Wilson dies I run about three tenths less runout. I do have a home built .222 die that Pindell built to his chamber reamer, and it is a true .00075" die. Sadly the only .222 gun I own isn't that good!
gary

I did a test a while back on the effects of run out on accuracy and this is what I found.

Zero run out was without question the best for accuracy (Pretty obvious) I saw some slight loss
in accuracy with .001 thousandths run out.

.002 thousandths run out was measurable in accuracy loss.

.003 needed to be straightened to improve the accuracy and at .004 thousandths straightening
made them worse because it changed the neck tension.

So I use the .004 run out loads for fouling and testing. For extreme accuracy, I stay with .000 to .001 as loaded run out without straightening .

I use a .0005 dial indicator and it works ok. I may need to go with a .00010 gage. (if it didn't drive me crazy)

J E CUSTOM

I did a test a while back on the effects of run out on accuracy and this is what I found.

Zero run out was without question the best for accuracy (Pretty obvious) I saw some slight loss
in accuracy with .001 thousandths run out.

.002 thousandths run out was measurable in accuracy loss.

.003 needed to be straightened to improve the accuracy and at .004 thousandths straightening
made them worse because it changed the neck tension.

So I use the .004 run out loads for fouling and testing. For extreme accuracy, I stay with .000 to .001 as loaded run out without straightening .

I use a .0005 dial indicator and it works ok. I may need to go with a .00010 gage. (if it didn't drive me crazy)

J E CUSTOM
With those standards, you must be neck turning??

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.