Trying the SwitchLug

I don't see the point of the screw on top of the recoil lug....... if the recoil lug is already pinned to the action face why does it need the screw on top?

The lug is pinned so that when you take off the barrel and install the new one its in the exact same alignment as it was when the smith chambered the barrel if you are torqueing it to the same spec as he did.
Even with a real expensive tq wrench I really doubt the barrel ends up in the same place each time. I have used alot of craftsman tq wrenches, which are not high end, but the bolt does not stop in the same spot. Even with a digital, I doubt it would.

I just read about the Remage yesterday. Seems pretty darn cool to me. I am not sure I would would be swapping barrels out, but I like the idea of being able to install my own barrell. I just like doing things myself.

I am not a huge fan of Savages, I have 2, but like the idea of doing my own work. This seems the best of both worlds. 700 action, and savage type nut.

I had a chance to play with the WTO Switch Lug system last month at Worlds Longest Shot Challenge and it is a VERY nice system..
We shot a 500 yard Hog shaped plate with a shoulder hit,, took Barrel off and reinstalled it and made a Neck shot ,, So it does change your POI alittle but is close enough to save a lot of ammo on Resighting in.. And to be able to change barrels myself and have choice of a lot of different caliber's and just have to Buy One stock,, Scope and Action made me decide to have one built.. I am sending parts off Tomorrow to have one built by WTO in a 6.5 x47 Lupua my next barrel will be a 7 SAUM and 6 Creedmoor

What is there to send off? Isn't the point you can do it yourself?
You have to have it built first,, You have to have a GS Thread barrel , Chamber, Fit to Switch Lug, and Head space ..
All the same work goes into these as any other Custom build , really more with the fitting of the SL..
But after you have first one built they take all the specs of your build and next time I want to order a barrel they can look up my Specs and build a barrel to my Guns Specs

I was just thinking about a remage from criterion. Take my barrel off and put theirs on. But I am not shooting great distance.

I bought a switchlug to see if it works as advertised. I built a 6.5 GAP 4S and a 28 Nosler on a 700 Ti Action. Barrels are: 6.5mm 1:8 Proof and a 7mm 1:8 Bartlein.
I´ll bed it tomorrow an maybe try it next week. I used a Manners EH-1 for it.
You went all in on this given your investment in barrels alone.

I'M looking forward to an update on how this works out since I switch barrels on both my short and long action rifles. This seems super easy and fast. Much more appealing than breaking out the barrel vice, action wrench, 2 torque wrenches and removing my scope...

I'M looking forward to an update on how this works out since I switch barrels on both my short and long action rifles. This seems super easy and fast. Much more appealing than breaking out the barrel vice, action wrench, 2 torque wrenches and removing my scope...
I think you will still have to do some of that, won't you? Not sure if scope will be in way, I suspect it might. But you will have to put it is some kind of vice, use a nut wrench. Atleast in the videos I saw for the savage type nut they are using on Remginton 700s.

I think the advantage from the reading I been doing in, if you go with a remage nut, no gunsmith. Not sure about the switchnut.

I think you will still have to do some of that, won't you? Not sure if scope will be in way, I suspect it might. But you will have to put it is some kind of vice, use a nut wrench. Atleast in the videos I saw for the savage type nut they are using on Remginton 700s.

I think the advantage from the reading I been doing in, if you go with a remage nut, no gunsmith. Not sure about the switchnut.
No Action wrench are Barrel vise is not needed to swap barrels,, Also scope stays on.

The switch lug isn't for me anyways. I'd go with a nut so I don't have involve a gunsmith. Which is the whole point for me.

I didn't realize this wasn't one until I watched the video. I watch a savage like nut on 700.

I tried it and I´m having some issues with the system. The proof barrel gets a little sticky when trying to put it in or out. The bartlein works like a charm, you can put it in or out by turning it with your hand and holds zero. I just sent it back to my smith to see if by opening the threads a little bit on the proof barrel it fits better. I´m very happy with the overall accuracy of the system, it shoots great. It´s just not that easy to get one of the barrels in.

No Action wrench are Barrel vise is not needed to swap barrels,, Also scope stays on.

I do need to remove the scope from the rifle because my rings are too low and the barrel won't clear the 56mm bell.

Mine should be ready in a couple weeks , I am having 2 barrels built but both will be Bartleins but I will keep you guys posted on the project.

I talked to Clayton this morning and he answered all my questions. He built both rifles for me, so he is familiar with my setups. He assured me there would be no scope interference, no problem with consistent headspace, no problem with brake indexing and fast easy barrel change.

I'm in for 2 switch lug installations. Now I need to figure out exactly what barrels & twist I need to obtain. Looks like a
1:8 twist for the STW for 195s will be first. Also getting a extra barrel for the 6.5 Sherman. I would also like to find a take off 6.5 barrel that the 6.5 Sherman reamer would clean up, for a fire forming barrel. (Or a new dirt cheap 6.5 tube.)

Some serious total expense, but far cheaper than a new build. Makes a lot of options available down the road and can only improve a rifle's value.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.