True up a remmy or go with surgeon

killitgrillit

Howdy all,
I have a sendero in 300rum and have a krieger barrel ordered for it, now my question is should I true up that action flute the bolt and modify bolt handle or just sell it and buy a surgeon, this will be my first custom build. I like the surgeon because of built in recoil lug and scope rail and reputation.
Thx for all info

IF you elect to true up the Remington, forget the bolt work. Just go to PTG and buy their bolt fluted with extended bolt and choice of M16 or Sako extractor. Sell your bolt and out of pocket cost will be $100 or less for lot better bolt.

I am not a fan of trued Rem actions as it is money lost as soon as you walk out the door and never as fast or smooth as a custom action.

Other actions to look at are the Stiller, Tooley Orian, Defiance etc all make extremely high quality actions that will fit your bill also.

BH

If money is an issue than yes, go with the Remington. If not, Definitely a Surgeon. Custom actions are just that, custom. They are about as near to perfect as an action could possibly be. A trued Remington is a great action and very accurate when done right, but it will never take the place of a custom precision action, period.

There will be folks who will say that their factory blue printed Remington 700 action will shoot just as good as a Surgeon. Maybe.

I have a Surgeon and it will put a five shot string in the same hole every time. I also have a blue printed Remington and the best I can get out of it is .4-.5 clover leaf. Don't get me wrong here. A blue printed Remington action is nothing to frown at. They are highly accurate and a very great action. After all, if you look at most custom actions out there, like the Surgeon, they have some similarities to a Remington 700.

Surgeon's, for example are cut one at a time. The tolerances are exact from one action to the next, the cuts are as close to perfect as a CNC Machine can make them, and did I say they are built one at a time. Remington factory actions are built on an assembly line, sometimes by folks who are just there for a pay check. So no matter how much truing one can do to a factory Remington the precision is just not on the level of a custom. Thats why a brand new Remington Action sells for around $450 - $500 and the Surgeon sell for $1200+ and many other custom actions likewise.

Buying a Surgeon Rifle is like buying a small vehicle. They are not cheap. They are one of the highest priced guns on the market today. I have a small fortune tied up in my Surgeon Scalpel. So if money is not an issue, sell the Remington and call Surgeon and sit down with them and design what you want on your Surgeon and then let them build you one. I promise, you will not be disappointed. Comparing a blue printed custom Remington to a Surgeon Scalpel is kind of like comparing a Cadillac to a Bugatti Veyron.

IMO, a custom action for varmint/benchrest shooting, they are just awesome but for a hunting rifle i'd just use the Remmy, you won't need to buy a trigger and bdl floorplate like the custom action. I would even just buy a new Rem LA sps have it blueprinted and leave the sendero alone. But that's just me.

If you were to buy all the parts and then have this done here is a breakdown compared to just buying a stiller preditor action which most would say (me included) is much better than a tricked or trued up remington.

rem action
TRUE action 225
recoil lug 40
PTG bolt 197
Flute bolt 35
Fit bolt 40
TOTAL 537

sell Rem action -450
Buy stiller Preditor 875
TOTAL 425

Even if you didnt buy a new PTG bolt the price is way too close to use a remington. I would personally look at pierce engineering. Their actions come ceracoated and jim is a pleasure to deal with.

How much do you already have tied up in your Rem Sendero 300 RUM? $1,200? Your Kreiger barrel probably cost you any where from $330 -$385 then if you have it fluted you can add another $130. To True up a remington 700 with some nice features you are looking at $400 - $500. Then for the work on the barrel, unless you can do it your self, you are looking $150 - $200. All in all, a very nice rig. But time you are all done, you will have dropped about $2,500 and that is on the shy side. You'll probably encounter more cost on the gun smith side for labor. If it were me, I would finish the gun and spend as little as possible and try and turn it for what you have in it, or close to it. Then put that money in a savings account and save up the rest and buy a complete Surgeon. Even if you fully rigged out the Remington Sendero, the Surgeon will run circles around the custom Sendero.

Thx for all the info guys, I went with the stiller predator and a rock creek barrel after discussing it with my smith.
Again thx for all the info.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts