true bullet coefficient

mo

I think I read somewhere that if you get muzzle velocity and then get your velocity from a 100 yd. you can get your true bullet coefficient. Is that correct? Does anyone know that formula?

Not real practical. Too many errors on such a short distance.

You have a very short time of flight and the accuracy of your chronograph to think about that may be a few%.

If you are interested in such things, buy Bryan Litz book.

I think I read somewhere that if you get muzzle velocity and then get your velocity from a 100 yd. you can get your true bullet coefficient. Is that correct? Does anyone know that formula?

You need to spread the two readings out over a longer distance. The farther apart the more accurate you will be in figuring your BC.

Here is a link to Jbm calcuations page that will help you.

http://www.jbmballistics.com/calculations/calculations.html

2 chronies work fine for a good place to start. The only thing you cant get is a drag model but will give you a DANG good place to start. 3 different times this year with 3 different loads I used the double chrony method to come up with a BC and put first round hits in the X ring at 700 yards.

My chronies are 300 yards apart. As far as caluclations, it is best to use a ballistic calculator.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.