Trouble with 243 dies

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by 300Rummy, Nov 26, 2006.

1. 300Rummy

300Rummy Active Member

Has anyone had trouble with an expander button wearing out, or not working properly? I have a set of lyman dies that worked flawlessly last year, when I made some fresh rounds for my sons 243 I noticed bullet seating was without the normal resistance, I can pull the bullets out with my fingers, or put them in as well, all bullets mic properly. I took the resizing die apart and cleaned and checked it but still no good, any suggestions? Never had this to happen before.

2. sullijr

sullijr Well-Known Member

Suggest annealing a couple and running them through the dies,the problem could be the brass is too hard..

3. Jimm

Jimm Writers Guild

Rummy ,

If the "expander button " wore out it would cause you to have greater tension on your bullet not less .

As Sullijr suggested the brass could be the culprit.

Jim B.

4. 300Rummy

300Rummy Active Member

I've also tried dfferent brass, even went from brass to nickel with same results.

5. Jimm

Jimm Writers Guild

ok Rummy ,

Take it from the top , what dies , methodology used in sizing brass etc .

Someone here will put their finger on the problem .

Jim B.

6. 300Rummy

300Rummy Active Member

They are Lyman AA two die set. I inspect case, clean case mouth with brush, role on lube pad then resize, as I always have, nothing different other than the bullets being loose.

7. CatShooter

CatShooter Well-Known Member

Take out the expander button and run one through the die - let us know if the bullet is tight.

8. 300Rummy

300Rummy Active Member

It made a difference for sure, it's like it crimped the end or something, bullet won't go in, but I didn't try pressing in with press, so what do you think now?

9. kraky

kraky Well-Known Member

I'd have to ask what is the inside diameter of the case mouth after sizing ea way?? It should be about .003" under the bullet diameter or about .240. If you have your expander ball out of the case can you measure it?? It should be just under the caliber diameter....maybe .001"