Trouble finding the lands on Savage 338L

TLD338

Help!! I've been working on a load for my savage 110 FCP and am at my wits end trying to find the darn lands as a starting point for my seating depth. I have split the neck on an empity case and inserted a bullet into the neck (Barnes 280gn LRX). Leaving the bullet seated long, I chamber the round and close the bolt....well low and behold when I remove the dummy round I find that the bullet is still protruding out well past the first driving band on the LRX. Even after rotating the dummy round and rechambering it several times it is still way long.

After scratching my head for a while I decided to try a different approach. I pushed the bullet well down into the case, slid it into the chamber, and useing a small brazing rod inserted thru the primer pocked pushed the bullet forward until it stoped with reasonable force(red neck OAL guage). Well after removing the round this time I find that it is even longer!!

What am I doing wrong? I'm stumped.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.