Tripods

HeskethPritchard

I see from some of your great pics you guys use tripods with what looks like a front bag rest attached for your long shots.

How do you attach the rest to the bit where the camera usually sits??

I'm probably being dumb and its real simple I just cant figure it out.

Thanks guys

Hesketh, I am guessing you are referring to a long lens which is attached to the tripod with a "foot" on the bottom of the lens.

Then the camera sits out on the rear end, unsupported.

Len sorry I am not.

If you go to the "New Zealand Alpine Game Animals At Long Range" thread and look at the pictures they are setting up on tripods to take the shot.

What I want to know is how do the attached the front rest bags to the tripod???

Thanks

HP

I am not sure what they have the actual bag mounted to, but most of these type tri pods have a 1/4 -20 type thumb screw to which the camera is mounted. Some also have a 1/4-20 x 3/8-16 adaptor for some of the bigger cameras. I am sure that you could simply drill and tap a piece of aluminum or mild steel to which your owl ear bag could then be mounted on.

Hope this helps.

I would imagine that you could just put a 1/4 x 20 "T" nut through a flat piece of wood that you have designed to support your front bag. That way you could easily take the bag on or off your camera tri-pod.

That is, if I understand your question correctly.

I am told you can get the plate that you attach the bag too and then attach the whole lot to the tripod comes from a company called centre point. I have googled it but cant find it...... any suggestions?

Thanks fellas

Is this what you're looking for?

IMG_07162.jpg
[/IMG]

Nyles,

I took an Ultimate Tripod and modified it a bit.
Here's what to do if you have one:
First off, scrape off the plastic covering on the inside of the pivot point, the part that's connected to the legs. Then replace the tiny threaded rod with a larger one. Throw away that piece of crap plastic knob that's used to tighten the top. I replaced mine with a piece of steel that I put threads into. The more force you apply the less it moves. Then replace the short aluminum rails with longer ones. I modified the front rest to accept the head of a bench rest set up.
On this one I used a cheapo Midway top. Sometimes I put the head of my good rest in it.

You might have to be registered to get in, but there are some very interesting products around if you go snooping on Snipers Hide:

AI.jpg

DCLW.jpg

Clamping.jpg

63smmw9.jpg

6bnv9sj.jpg

66lt75k.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts