Tripod?

I have a Bogpod Deathgrip and am happy with it. At 8.5 lbs Its not light but very solid and I can get pretty steady behind it. You can get an aluminum one 2 day free shipping for $127. If nothing else its a good way to try out the concept. The other options out there are significantly more money.

if you want the good-good one, the Real right stuff w/ a hog saddle or a mount specificly attaching to your rifle is best. that setup is like 1600 though. second best IMO is a trigger stick or bogpod.

RRS is really the right stuff but man is it expensive I've looked at them several times just can't do it right now

Neck injury and subsequent surgery has made prone nearly impossible, for me. With three vertebrae fused, the ol' neck simply won't bend enough to allow prone position.

I'm doing "okay" from sitting, using either shooting sticks or a tall Harris bipod, but am considering going to a tripod to support the rifle and give me the level of accuracy I used to achieve when shooting prone.

Recommendations?

Thanks, Guy
and save a lot of cash search e-bay for used got my whole RRS set up for under 300 bucks used

RRS carbon fiber tripod in either the 2 or 3 series is hard to beat when paired with their new Anvil-30 ball head. I have a 2 series tripod and have a 3 on back order. The Anvil 30 ball head is specifically made for shooting sports and works better than my equally expensive Markins ball head that was made for cameras. There is currently a back order on the Anvil 30 ball heads and there is a reason for it- demand.
Unfortunately the RRS gear is really expensive but nothing else (other tripods or shooting sticks) I have tried comes close to being as steady. I shoot steel in the back yard and generally use the tripod instead of the concrete pad I installed for prone. I can get close to the same accuracy and find the sitting position much more comfortable.

I use several different systems and practice with them all. First I use an Modular evolution carbon bipod, it has different length legs that quick detach and can be snapped together or used alone and are adjustable. I can lots of height. It also has a bracket that hooks to your tripod and when the bipod legs are removed it snaps onto your bipod. In this form I then use my Pack or shooting sticks to support the rear butt. When I use the long bipod legs I use my tripod to support the rear. The tripod I use is a small carbon fiber Sirui brand, it's a great tripod.
I also have a larger carbon fiber Sirui tripod with a bowl level and head I use when I'm closer to the truck and mount with a small Arca rail, it works great and they are really nice tripods.
The biggest thing is practicing with them, you will figure out what works for your body structure and your physical restrictions. What works for on guy may not work for a guy 260 lbs. there are multiple ways to skin a cat.
The Four Vets makes some nice setups at reasonable price also.
I saw a new ball head the other day that was designed exclusively for shooting and it was slick. You grab the whole base give it a quick turn adjust and lock. The guy was hanging on the end of the rifle and it didn't budge. It was lower profile also. I will Try and find the name.

Last edited:

Fused neck also, no 2 exactly alike. These have worked for me, a good combination, of weight, length, and sturdy for field use.
Occasionally I use a kicking pad left over from the kids karate days under my chest. It raises me enough for prone bipod use.

I've been looking at the Wrecking Ball from Vault Outdoors, I don't have any hands on experience with it yet but it looks solid and has good reviews from what I've seen, at a much better price than the RRS.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.