Tripod recommendation for Chronograph

gamehawker

I have a Shooting Chrony Alpha Master Chronograph and have it mounted on an old cheap flimsy tripod. I have been to the range a couple of times to use it and I do not think the chronograph is giving accurate readings because of the poor stability of the tripod.

I want to purchase a new tripod for the chronograph and can anyone tell me what tripod that they are using with their chronograph or make a recommendation on which tripod to purchase?

Thanks!

Have you considered shooting through it prone? When I do that I set the chony on a 2x6 with a couple bricks under it. Very stable. Also with the shooting Crony I found it best to be 18' from the muzzle for most consistant readings.

Just a thought

Jeff

Have you considered shooting through it prone? When I do that I set the chony on a 2x6 with a couple bricks under it. Very stable. Also with the shooting Crony I found it best to be 18' from the muzzle for most consistant readings.
Jeff

Good advice from Broz.

If you are dead set on needing a tripod the best I have come up with is the old style surveyors tripod. I've picked up 2 of them from pawn shops as surveyors seem to be going with GPS system and no longer use the old style tripod. They are flat out stable and all you have to do is a little innovative adaption with a bolt, nut, washer, and wing nut from hardware store to adapt your chrony.

Just a thought

Jeff

Jeff,

I can't do prone position because I am disabled. I only shoot from a bench.

Thanks for the tip on the Shooting Crony being 18' from the muzzle for the most consistant readings.

Tim

Old Tiltall Pro, easy to add weight to it if needed, but not to heavy to carry for a spotting scope....they are very well made and you can pick them up on e-bay

I had/ have the same problem. I ordered one from CED as i have there chrony. Should arrive today. Will report back.

The tripod from CED just arrived. This tripod is built heavy. CED Model HT1555 . Cost is 89.00. Money well spent.

Shooting prone I had problems with false readings on the chrony from debris being blown around. Having the chrony 15' back helps. I have actually tied a piece of paracord to the front of the chrony that I use to set up the exact same distance everytime. Cord never comes off the chrony. Is there a need to extrapolate muzzle velocity for having the chrony further from the muzzle? I'm bummed I can't get anywhere near the velocity I had hoped with one load and wonder if I'm losing 30 fps by having the chrony further out. Not that 30 fps makes a hill of beans difference.

I have an older Bogen which is now owned by Manfrotto. I hate to tell you but a good sturdy tripod (with a good head) costs bucks. And quality tripods aren't the things that friends have in their closets or basements collecting dust.

I would suggest you buy a good one as you will probably be using it one day with a quality spotting scope.

Check Amazon and B&H.

Hope this helps. I used to work as an industrial photographer as part of an old job so I have used heavy ones and lite ones, try to find something in between as you (as I) will always grab the lightest one that will do the job. Frankly I hate taking my chronograph to the range as I have a mid-weight tripod but that is what I think is needed.

I will tell you one thing, a good chronograph will help you make new friends as everyone wants to shoot over it to try their loads. I only take mine out on a cloudy day as the sun shields are a waste of time.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.