Tripod quick release plate on your spotting scope ?

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by enigma, Mar 5, 2011.

1. enigma

enigma Well-Known Member

What kind of quick release plate do you have on your spotting scope that connects to your tripod? Seems like alot of them are plastic and cheap. I think a metal type of plate would be better because of the weight of the spotting scope.Can any body recommend one?I have a leica 77 televid

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  2. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

The wife and I both use the hex shaped metal ones that come with various Bogen brand camera tripods. The wife's Leupold costs us more then $750 back in 1997...and my Pentax "jumbo" was close to $900 without the eyepiece when I bought it. Needless to say we want to take GOOD care of them.

3. Trickymissfit

Trickymissfit Well-Known Member

goto a camera shop and buy a metal one. You'll also need the head adapter for your tripod unless it came with one. Then be sure to take the tripod with you as there are many different sorts and shapes. I use a Monfretto on all my cameras and spotting scope. The lock in very tight and do not vibrate.
    gary

4. dig

dig Well-Known Member

Pick up a bogen/manfrotto. You can by the adapter to screw on to all tripods, window mounts etc... They are metal and have a lock down. Pretty much bullet proof.

5. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

I have the Outdoorsman sold on this site, alum. packable,had it for 10+ yrs.

6. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild