Triple 7 corrosive?

Discussion in 'Muzzleloader Hunting' started by specweldtom, Aug 21, 2011.

1. specweldtom

specweldtom Well-Known Member

A good friend warned me about 777 being corrosive. I would still like to find a good B/P substitute for .45, .50, and .54 cal muzzleloaders shooting sabots, and a .45-70 cartridge rifle shooting bullets.

Question: are there truly non-corrosive substitutes for B/P? My main objection to B/P is the heavy fouling and having to disassemble weapons to clean up after it. It also appears to be down on power compared to the substitutes.

I'm not an experienced B/P shooter, and appreciate all the advice I can get.

Thanks, Tom

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  2. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

Your prayers have been answer. Buy some BlackHorn 209 powder and you can leave the bore fouled (uncleaned) day-to-day, or year-to year, without worry. You can also shoot MANY rounds without fouling build-up. It is at least as accurate as 777 in my ML.

Once you try BlackHorn 209 you'll throw everything else in the garbage, I did. The only downside to BlackHorn 209 is the relative cost. It is more expensive than any other blackpowder substitute, but it's worth it.

Look here:
    http://www.blackhorn209.com/

3. specweldtom

VH, after reading your reply, I went to the link, and then to several sites, Midway, Natchez, and Cabela's. It is made more expensive by the hazmat fee, and a bottle only contains (43) 100 grain charges.

I don't have a centerline muzzleloader, and it appears that it is not for sidelock rifles, even with a 209 nipple, which used to be available. It does appear to be ideal in the .45-70, but I can stay with smokeless in that one.

I am going to see if anyone locally has it, and maybe avoid most of the hazmat fee, and then try it in a Walker replica revolver if I can find nipples for it. I always enjoyed shooting the old trash-burners, but haven't done it for years because of other priorities. I'm way out of touch with B/P technology.

After posting, I read a lot of reviews, and posts on other threads. A LOT of shooters have found the 777 to be corrosive, along with the other substitutes I was considering, and one reviewer of the Blackhorn said it stained and corroded his .45-70 brass.

Thanks for getting me off to a good start.

Tom

4. FrontierGander

FrontierGander Well-Known Member

5. specweldtom

Now that's more like it! I'm still researching if it can be used in modern sidelock / sidehammer rifles.

Thanks, Tom

Steve, thanks for the P/M

6. FrontierGander

FrontierGander Well-Known Member

I've done it but i had to use a small 5 grain booster charge that went down the bore first.

Video: [ame=http://youtu.be/g5lmjSHJNxk]CVA Hawken .50 Shooting Blackhorn209 - YouTube[/ame]

7. specweldtom

A picture is worth a 1000 words. A video is even better! Looks like the # 11 cap works fine. I'll research loads for a 45 cal. Pedersoli Mortimer Whitworth.

Thanks again, Tom

8. MHO

MHO Well-Known Member

Ive never had a problem with 777 being corrosive. I actually think its ten times easier to clean than Pyrodex. I used Pyrodex for many years and a buddy talked me into trying 777 and I have never looked back. I have never used any of the powders mentioned in previous posts. Just Pyrodex and 777. What I like about 777 is after three shots run a wet rag down the barrel and follow with two dry rags and your shooting again. Hope it helps.