Triple 7 corrosive?

specweldtom

A good friend warned me about 777 being corrosive. I would still like to find a good B/P substitute for .45, .50, and .54 cal muzzleloaders shooting sabots, and a .45-70 cartridge rifle shooting bullets.

Question: are there truly non-corrosive substitutes for B/P? My main objection to B/P is the heavy fouling and having to disassemble weapons to clean up after it. It also appears to be down on power compared to the substitutes.

I'm not an experienced B/P shooter, and appreciate all the advice I can get.

Thanks, Tom

Last edited:
Your prayers have been answer. Buy some BlackHorn 209 powder and you can leave the bore fouled (uncleaned) day-to-day, or year-to year, without worry. You can also shoot MANY rounds without fouling build-up. It is at least as accurate as 777 in my ML.

Once you try BlackHorn 209 you'll throw everything else in the garbage, I did. The only downside to BlackHorn 209 is the relative cost. It is more expensive than any other blackpowder substitute, but it's worth it.

Look here:
http://www.blackhorn209.com/

VH, after reading your reply, I went to the link, and then to several sites, Midway, Natchez, and Cabela's. It is made more expensive by the hazmat fee, and a bottle only contains (43) 100 grain charges.

I don't have a centerline muzzleloader, and it appears that it is not for sidelock rifles, even with a 209 nipple, which used to be available. It does appear to be ideal in the .45-70, but I can stay with smokeless in that one.

I am going to see if anyone locally has it, and maybe avoid most of the hazmat fee, and then try it in a Walker replica revolver if I can find nipples for it. I always enjoyed shooting the old trash-burners, but haven't done it for years because of other priorities. I'm way out of touch with B/P technology.

After posting, I read a lot of reviews, and posts on other threads. A LOT of shooters have found the 777 to be corrosive, along with the other substitutes I was considering, and one reviewer of the Blackhorn said it stained and corroded his .45-70 brass.

Thanks for getting me off to a good start.

Tom

Now that's more like it! I'm still researching if it can be used in modern sidelock / sidehammer rifles.

Thanks, Tom

Steve, thanks for the P/M

I've done it but i had to use a small 5 grain booster charge that went down the bore first.

Video: [ame=http://youtu.be/g5lmjSHJNxk]CVA Hawken .50 Shooting Blackhorn209 - YouTube[/ame]

A picture is worth a 1000 words. A video is even better! Looks like the # 11 cap works fine. I'll research loads for a 45 cal. Pedersoli Mortimer Whitworth.

Thanks again, Tom

Ive never had a problem with 777 being corrosive. I actually think its ten times easier to clean than Pyrodex. I used Pyrodex for many years and a buddy talked me into trying 777 and I have never looked back. I have never used any of the powders mentioned in previous posts. Just Pyrodex and 777. What I like about 777 is after three shots run a wet rag down the barrel and follow with two dry rags and your shooting again. Hope it helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.