Trinity Alps hike in hunt a success

Rabbiddog

I had plans in place with a guy I work with to backpack 4 miles into the Trinity Alps here in Northern Ca for the opener of rifle season. We scouted it during archery and we both miss 2 buck apiece all nice 3x3 blacktail.
We got to camp friday evening got it all set up and made it home. After we all discussed how we were gonna work the canyons,draws and ridgetops we went to bed.
Got up at 1st light and hiked and hunted all day opening day and all we saw were Does 4 to be exact.
Sat the camp fire and made a plan to hunt the next morning.
Again up at 1st light, after eating my mountain meal we were scanning the hillside with our bino's and we spot 6-8 deer on a far away slope. We discussed how to work that slope cause it was pretty steep and away we went.
There were 4 in our group for rifle season and 3 of us tagged out that morning.
1 guy I witnessed making an 800 yard shot uphill on a decent 3x2 with his 7mm.
So up the steep slope we went.
We get about 100 yds from the top and a real nice 3x3 jumps up outta the brush and I've gotta climb on top of a flat rock that angled up hill,Lay on my back and made a clean 60-80 yd shot and while this is going on my friend I work with shoots a nice 4x4 on top the ridge.
We only got pics of mine and the 4x4 as the other guy was boning his 3x2 out and was done before me and my friend got ours down to where he was but a great hunt and great morning.
Hunting243-1.jpg

My buck is the 3x3 with the drop tyne a real nice buck for this area I was happy it ended my 3 yr drought without a buck.

Hunting242-1.jpg

Hunting240-2.jpg

Congrats on a great hunt!!! Looks like it was awesome weather too! Lotsa sunshine and in the mountains - hard to not like that! Nice bucks also - mmm mmm bar-b-que!!!

Good pictures! I backpacked into the Trinity Alps few decades ago, and you got me remembering just why I feel so **** old. Congratulations!

Congrats alot of action in a short time always makes for great hunting stories. What hardware did you hunt with?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.