trim to length guide

Most standard reloading manuals have trim lengths published for each cartridge. However, Sinclair also sells an insert that fits in a shortened case to measure each rifles EXACT trim length (similar to OAL gauge) since published values tend to err on the short side for safety

as stated, most manuals will give you cartridge length and many will give you a trim length. Trim length is usually about .005 - .01 shorter than cartridge length. Some published trim lengths will vary. It is important for you to pick a trim length and stick to it.

Lyman has what you're asking about, but most reloaders use a caliper and published figures. Those interested in protecting their chambers will measure with the Sinclair device.

Lyman has what you're asking about, but most reloaders use a caliper and published figures. Those interested in protecting their chambers will measure with the Sinclair device.

+1.

16300_lyman_case_gage.jpg

Good luck.

Ed

"...where I can find a simple trim to lenth guide that covers all standard cartridges?"

Goodness. This ain't rocket science, a few thousants one way or the other will make absolutely no difference. Check the book max lenghts and take 10 thou off that for a "trim to length".

Let me clarify myself. What i want is a simple sheet that shows maximum length and trim to length. I realize a lot of this can be found in reloading manuals but some of the cartridges I shoot are not in my manuals. No it is not rocket science, but it is very important not to let cases grow too far in length. Thanks to those who gave helpful answers, I should have made myself more clear.

Thanks.

Tony.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.