Trigger pull too light?

hatfield954

I have a savage model 12 chambered in .308 with 26" barrel. I have only spent a little time shooting this rifle with maybe 1 box of ammo pushed through her. When shooting, if you even have the thought of pulling the trigger in your mind, then Bamm. It's done. This rifle is brand new and straight from savage like this. Do you think this trigger pull is too light or is it simply because it is my first savage and I am not use to such a light pull on a rifle. I had a rem .270 before this savage and the pull was much different. And I know the savage is a better rifle.

i might be wrong on this and anyone who knows better can chime in... but i think the model 12 series as well as the model 10's (police/tactical) and also the target series have triggers that can be set down to 8 oz. (that is if it is an accutrigger model)

I know my model 10 and both my model 110's came set at that from the factory...

if it is an accutrigger model, and you want to add more weight to the trigger just drop the action outa the stock and use the tiny little accutrigger tool that came with the gun from the factory (little knobby looking thing with a 1/2 inch long shaft with a slot in the end) and adjust it to where you want it

here is a link to the savage manual it explains the procedure better than i can:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/savagefiles/manuals/manual_centerfire_rifles_accutrigger.pdf

if it is a pre-accutrigger model or has an after market trigger you may have to take it to a gunsmith to make it heavier...

orch

If it has the Accutriger you can adjust the trigger yourself. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. If the trigger will not allow the rifle to fire with the safety on when you slam the bolt closed or bounce the butt on the floor it will be OK. DO THIS WITH THE RIFLE UNLOADED. A little lesson many people need is this. You don't pull a trigger. You squeeze a trigger and if you know when the gun is going off you have pulled the trigger and not squeezed it. It needs to be a surprise when it goes off and you will make a good shot.

If your Rem 700 had the stock trigger pull that came from the factory it most likely was around 5 to 7 pounds. If you go to a 2 to 4 pound trigger pull which many Savage Accutriggers have from the factory it will really seem light. You will shoot better with the lighter trigger weight.

If it has the Accutriger you can adjust the trigger yourself. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. If the trigger will not allow the rifle to fire with the safety on when you slam the bolt closed or bounce the butt on the floor it will be OK. DO THIS WITH THE RIFLE UNLOADED. A little lesson many people need is this. You don't pull a trigger. You squeeze a trigger and if you know when the gun is going off you have pulled the trigger and not squeezed it. It needs to be a surprise when it goes off and you will make a good shot.

If your Rem 700 had the stock trigger pull that came from the factory it most likely was around 5 to 7 pounds. If you go to a 2 to 4 pound trigger pull which many Savage Accutriggers have from the factory it will really seem light. You will shoot better with the lighter trigger weight.

Oh it's always a surprise when I squeeze her, RT. I can pull her in tight and hug her like I am holding a bb gun. The factory recoil pad is amazing. I shot 1 complete box of ammo and the next day was expecting to have a sore shoulder but felt nothing. I have a friend that shoots competition and I am gonna let him shoot it to see if he thinks it might be just a touch too light.

Target accutriggers can get down to .5lb or lower. The LE series can go as low as 1.5lbs. The regular accutrigger can go down to 2.5lbs. If you are used to a heavy trigger, any of those can feel light. If you have a model 12 in their target series it will feel extremely light. I'd suggest dry firing it some. You may get used to it, and prefer it. A lighter trigger, IMO, is the most effective way to tighten up your groups, if you get used to it. A trigger break should always come before you expect it. Everybody is different. For me it used to be 2-2.5lbs. With more practice, I prefer just over 1lb.

Do you know what model12 you have?

I do like a system that allows trigger squeeze over pull, especially with something like an Anschutz 5018.
But not every stock allows for this IMO.

Target accutriggers can get down to .5lb or lower. The LE series can go as low as 1.5lbs. The regular accutrigger can go down to 2.5lbs. If you are used to a heavy trigger, any of those can feel light. If you have a model 12 in their target series it will feel extremely light. I'd suggest dry firing it some. You may get used to it, and prefer it. A lighter trigger, IMO, is the most effective way to tighten up your groups, if you get used to it. A trigger break should always come before you expect it. Everybody is different. For me it used to be 2-2.5lbs. With more practice, I prefer just over 1lb.

Do you know what model12 you have?

It's the fvss

From what I can tell, t looks like your trigger is adjustable form 1.5lbs-6lbs. If the rifle was new there should have been a small tool to adjust the pull weight. IIRC clockwise is heavier and counter-clockwise is lighter.

Is there such a thing as too light of a trigger?:)

Just kidding, I know there is....in some circumstances.

You will get used to it with practice, and if you're like me, once you've gotten used to it; you'll never go back to a factory trigger, ever!!

If you really are uncomfortable with it though, most any trigger can be made heavier, especially the target or adjustable ones.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts