TRG-S, or where's the beef?

Sako75

Re: TRG-S, or where\'s the beef?

Hi, Guys, I'm new here even though I've been lurking for awhile.
wink.gif

=
I have a TRG-S 7mm rem. mag. & I thought the same thing when I first got it. I opted for the lighter .cal because I don't want to develop a flinch from shooting that monster .300 mag. or the .338 lapua. My .223 varmint has a match heavy barrel & in comparison, the TRG-S barrel is rather light, but it shoots well & very accurate.
=
I have Two Sako's.
#75 varmint .223\8-32x40 Bushnell 4200 elite
=
TRG-S 7mm.rem.mag.\4.5-14x40AO Leupold tactical
=

TRG-S, or where\'s the beef?

This is my first post, so please be gentile
smile.gif

I ordered a Sako TRG-S in .338 Lapua to try something new, and while I really like the action, it does seem a little narrow to me for such a large diameter cartridge (it's 1.28" side-to-side over the shank). The barrel is 1.15" at the shank and 0.62" at the muzzle---very lightweight. The stock doesn't feel like it weighs anything, however I really like its fit and feel (except the recoil pad, which won't help damp recoil much). Overall, I really like the rifle except the ridicously light barrel. However, it makes me wonder where the rifle's 8 1/8 pounds come from? Is the action made of depleted uranium or is there lead in the stock's forearm? I'd take the stock off to see, but I'm feeling lazy.
rolleyes.gif

I'll probably break in the barrel this weekend, altough I can't shake the feeling that the tiny little action and barrel are going to explode when I pull the trigger!
grin.gif

Cheers,
DSPguy

I'll give you a $100 for it before it does explode!
grin.gif

But in case you turn down my offer, don't sweat it! Everything will be fine as long as you have a brake on that lightweight beast. Have basically the same setup.

Sako75, glad to hear that someone has had a good experience with the TRG-S! I must admit, the 7mm mag is much more pleasant in a light rifle. It took a long time to displine myself to shoot my then wildcat .338-378 Wby well (no brake). I'm moving over to the .338 Lapua because of it's 15% (more or less) reduction in powder capacity from the .338-378. Of course, I'm going to a 15% lighter rifle, so the recoil will still be the same
shocked.gif

Chris, how much would you give me *after* it explodes---that would make a cool addition to any collection
grin.gif

----------------------

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -George Bernard Shaw

Guys, please give me some idea of the felt recoil of the TRG-S in 338LM as compare to 30-06 or 7Rem Mag. With and without brake, if possible. I am thinking of getting one for quite a while now but the things I heard about the felt recoil has put me off. Thanks for your input.

Nik

I would have to know the following for each of the 3 rifles:

wt of rifle with scope
powder weight
bullet weight
muzzle velocity

Given those facts I can use a formula to calc the answer.

Compared to an '06 (165gr bullet) in 9lb rifles, the lapua launching 300grMk is going to have three times the recoil. Gonna hurt...in the same class as the 458Win mag.

Get a brake!!!Add lots of weight!!!

The Sako TRG-S line can be extremely accurate. The 338 Lapua is typically geared for the 250gr match bullets at 2900fps. A bit "small" in my opinion to really get the 300gr MK to work at long range.

Nice rifle...

Jerry

Here's some actual recoil (free recoil) measurements:
TRG-S + scope (~9.25 lbs), .338 Lapua, 250 gr. Nosler: 43.6 ft-lbs
9.00 lb rifle, 7mm Rem. Mag, 175 gr. Nosler: 23.5 ft-lbs
9.00 lb rifle, .25-06 Rem., 115 gr. Nosler: 13.5 ft-lbs

So, in terms of free recoil energy, the .338 Lapua will kick twice as hard, all else equal. However, things can be fixed-up substantially. A PAST Recoil Shield will reduce recoil a full 50%, bring the .338 Lapua's recoil down to that of a 7mm mag. But there's another trick that's just as good---relaxing during the shot will also reduce recoil substantially, maybe even another 50%. This is because energy equals force times the distance through which it acts and force equals pressure times the area over which it's applied, i.e. E=fd and f=pA. Solving for the pressure, p, which is what you feel, yields p=E/(Ad).

Therefore, allowing your shoulder to roll with the punch (relaxing thereby increasing d) is as effective as increasing the surface area acted upon (the PAST Recoil Shield). Together, they can eliminate 75% percent of felt recoil and you are in .25-06 territory (if you held your shoulder stiff and had no PAST shield). The second recoil reducer (relaxing), may sound hokey, but artillery is still designed to work this way using a vertical sliding breechblock.

You can also add a muzzle brake, if so inclined...

Also, the stock design/fit has very a large effect.

TRG-S factory brake,that´s it.

Shoots really nice,the muzzle does not jump using a Harris bipod in 338 Lapua. I see my hits.

A big surprise,I thought it might be much harder. I am used to 45-70 hot load recoil in a Marlin without a brake but still,the factory brake in TRG-S must be quite good. More like a .243 with Scenars. This is all subjective,of course.

The noise comes as a bonus.
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.